American Chestnut Pipe Stand

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from MRDucks2

MRDucks2

Wife indicated our Son had 5 pipes and could use a pipe stand as part of his Christmas. So, found a design I liked (because it was straightforward). Downloaded as as many images as possible and tried to guess how to build it from the HxLxW measurements I had.

Used some of the wormy American Chestnut from the hand-hewn log piece out of the family barn I tore down in 1998, made a tape mold around the pieces after cutting to size and poured 8oz of blue PR over it to soak and cure while I headed out for the week.

Got home yesterday and finished the piece. As always, perfect, but learned a lot and happy with the piece. I think he will enjoy.
IMG_0914.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MRDucks2

Thanks, Preston. We had Christmas early so he was able to trial as I had both 3" and 4" posts to have either a 3.5" or 4.5" overall height. After setting his pipes up, they need to be 3.5" posts for a 4" overall height. Lol

His nicest pipe also needs a slightly larger than 3/4" slot for the mouthpiece, so modifications on Sunday.

mecompco

That is awesome! I've neglected my pipes for a while, I think I should pack my favorite little full-bent vintage WDC Wellington up and burn some Dunhill Flake today. I was glad to see you did a trial fit--reading your original post I was wondering if you'd made sure his particular pipes would all fit.

Cheers!
Michael

MRDucks2

Thanks, Chuck.

Yeah, Michael, my original model had had 1/2" slots in the top and that didn't look or align with the hold correctly. So I took another 1/8 off to right and a 3/4" Forstner bit for the hole in the back instead of a 1/2".

I also opened the bottom rest hole up from 1-3/8 (my largest spade bit) to 1-1/2 (my new Forstner bit) and that worked well.

Top Bottom