Ambrosia Maple from the Firewood Pile

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Harpazo

I've never seen more interesting natural figure in a piece of Ambrosia Maple than the chunk of firewood that almost got burned in the fireplace last year.

I will be stabilizing this piece when my setup is back in order. Bottle stopper and pen blanks in its future or maybe some knife scales. What do you guys think?

There's more from that same log but this piece is what I'm working with at the moment.

Attachments

• IMG_0177.jpg
    IMG_0177.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 224
  • IMG_0178.jpg
    IMG_0178.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 191
  • IMG_0179.jpg
    IMG_0179.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 298
  • IMG_0180.jpg
    IMG_0180.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 188
Last edited:

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Great save from the burn pile!

You are certainly better able to tell how solid the wood is than I can from the photos, but are you sure that it needs stabilizing? I've turned a lot of wood that was much further gone than that seems to be without stabilizing it.

Harpazo

Great save from the burn pile!

You are certainly better able to tell how solid the wood is than I can from the photos, but are you sure that it needs stabilizing? I've turned a lot of wood that was much further gone than that seems to be without stabilizing it.

Actually, you are right. This wood is pretty sound. I do want to observe the process to see what difference there might be. There are some splinters that need to be super-glued and those sections will probably become cast in Alumilite or PR to fill the concave weathered portions.

Being new to casting/stabilizing I'm up for just observing the process to understand it. Sometimes the failures teach as much as the successes.

This piece of wood has some pretty deep torsional stress cracks, though, that would benefit (I think) from CSM (casting & stabilization methods) so that's the plan.

Top Bottom