Amboyna burl kitless

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

its_virgil

Stabilized amboyna burl. Acrylic acetate sleeves. Cap/body threads are M13 x .8 triple lead, the section/body threads are M10 x 1.0 single start, and the nib unit threads are for the JoWo nib unit are M7.4 x .5
Do a good turn daily!
Don 20210725_194841-02.jpeg20210725_195024-02.jpeg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Larryreitz

While, as I've said before, I'm not a big fan of kitless pens, I am a huge fan of the workmanship that you put into this pen. The Amboyna is incredible and I dare say many would not have the guts to try a kitless with such an expensive piece of timber. Very, very nice job and thanks for showing.

its_virgil

While, as I've said before, I'm not a big fan of kitless pens, I am a huge fan of the workmanship that you put into this pen. The Amboyna is incredible and I dare say many would not have the guts to try a kitless with such an expensive piece of timber. Very, very nice job and thanks for showing.
Thanks Larry. Ten yrs ago (or longer) a knife maker friend told me he was ordering some stabilized amboyna burl knife scales. Each scale was large enough to yield two pen blanks. I told him yes and go ahead and get me a pair. I should have asked the price. They were $32 each. I have looked at those pieces for years and could not bring myself to using them...until now. That is the rest of the story.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

RichAldrich

Thanks Larry. Ten yrs ago (or longer) a knife maker friend told me he was ordering some stabilized amboyna burl knife scales. Each scale was large enough to yield two pen blanks. I told him yes and go ahead and get me a pair. I should have asked the price. They were $32 each. I have looked at those pieces for years and could not bring myself to using them...until now. That is the rest of the story.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Do you have any pictures of your sleeves used?

its_virgil

Do you have any pictures of your sleeves used?
Sorry, I do not. I meant to take pictures but was working on several projects and I failed to take pictures. Basically I drilled and threaded the sleeve material as if it were the pen blank. I then screwed it onto the mandrel and turned it down to a diameter I thought was small enough. Drilled the blank and glued the sleeve in place. I left the ends large enough to form the black rings. I do remember the cap piece of amboyna was drilled to 14.5mm and the cap sleeve was turned to fit the 14.5mm hole. I do not recall what bit I used for the barrel. I will take pictures next time.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

RichAldrich

Sorry, I do not. I meant to take pictures but was working on several projects and I failed to take pictures. Basically I drilled and threaded the sleeve material as if it were the pen blank. I then screwed it onto the mandrel and turned it down to a diameter I thought was small enough. Drilled the blank and glued the sleeve in place. I left the ends large enough to form the black rings. I do remember the cap piece of amboyna was drilled to 14.5mm and the cap sleeve was turned to fit the 14.5mm hole. I do not recall what bit I used for the barrel. I will take pictures next time.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Thanks great info

aRMdaMAN

Thanks aRM. The threads were indeed cut with taps and dies and on my wood lathe. I have a powermatic 3520B.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Hello there Mr WARD
Thanks for the response
Will have a look see of Your Lathe.
Coincidentally, had downloaded and hard copied Your "CA Finish for Pens"
Much appreciate Your time and effort in Sharing Your expertise.
LORD Bless
ATB & TC
aRM

Top Bottom