Amboyna Burl Convertible Apollo - yes another Apollo

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from mmayo

mmayo

After blowing up the cap section on some very challenging amboyna burl I tried again. Thanks to Bullseye Turning I could buy just the cap insert. The $150 pen was saved. Thanks Kate!

Note - I will use FAR less epoxy glue to affix the stainless steel nib connector. I'm causing the problem, not Rick Herrell's stepped drills or Bullseye Turning's components.

I have learned that after applying finish (16 coats of CA) and waiting a bit, I can insert the cap into a pen jaw chuck and very carefully turn the rough end. After that, I turn the lip right by the stainless portion of the pen body to get it clean and flush. Thin CA is applied to the tiny raw sections in both areas and it now looks great to me.

Attachments

• IMG_3975.jpeg
    IMG_3975.jpeg
    341 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_3976.jpeg
    IMG_3976.jpeg
    377.4 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_3977.jpeg
    IMG_3977.jpeg
    288.3 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RKB

That pen is spectacular! Thanks so much Mark for sharing your processes and problem solving skills. They are very beneficial.

Rod

fnfalguy

That is stunning. @KateHarrow should give you a cut of the order I just placed so I can give these kits a try. And then the drill bits from Rick. And now I have to buy a collet chuck. Damn this hobby gets pricey.
Regards
Joel

walshjp17

I have learned that after applying finish (16 coats of CA) and waiting a bit, I can insert the cap into a pen jaw chuck and very carefully turn the rough end. After that, I turn the lip right by the stainless portion of the pen body to get it clean and flush. Thin CA is applied to the tiny raw sections in both areas and it now looks great to me.
How do you protect the finish when using the pen jaws? Paper towel/cloth/some sort of sleeve?

egnald

That is stunning. @KateHarrow should give you a cut of the order I just placed so I can give these kits a try. And then the drill bits from Rick. And now I have to buy a collet chuck. Damn this hobby gets pricey.
Regards
Joel
Instead (or perhaps I should say in addition to) of a collet chuck, I bought two 3/8 MT2 Tool Holders that are tapped for use with an optional 3/8-16 Draw Bar to hold the Apollo Mandrels that I got from Bullseye. (But I think Rick Herrell uses 5/8 inch shafts on his custom mandrels). I use my collet chuck for holding round stock and some mandrels -- at least until I can get a dedicated tool holder for them.

Regardless of whether you use a collet chuck or dedicated tool holders, I recommend watching Rick Herrell's video on Pin Chuck Runout to tweak mandrels in.

Regards,
Dave

Top Bottom