Amboyna Burl Bangles

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from BangleGuy

BangleGuy

Here are a few pics of some Amboyna burl bangles that I made this weekend. I have been wanting to take my bangle making to the next level... this Amboyna is amazing. I am working with a supplier to get Amboyna cut to have the eyes on the perimeter. Wow, that is some nice looking stuff. One bangle has the eyes on the perimeter (over stainless) and the bangle over copper has the eyes perpendicular to the face.

I went ahead and stabilized the blanks, but I am not sure it is really necessary. I used Shellawax as a finish and I really like this stuff. CA can be a real PITA, and it is tough to get it off of the metal surface. The Shellawax avoids the plastic look of CA and is really easy to apply.

C&C welcome! Thanks for looking.

Eric

Attachments

• tn_Aboyna Duo.jpg
    tn_Aboyna Duo.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 290
  • tn_Amboyna on SS2.jpg
    tn_Amboyna on SS2.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 266
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jim Burr

Banned
Crazy Eric!!! Amboyna is hard to beat no matter how it's used...and that's one heck of a use!! I've turned dozens of items from amboyna and never had it stabilized...kind of a waste but jjust MHO

Bob Wemm

Hi Eric, Man, that is some nice wood. Well done.
Glad to see someone else using Shellawax, I love that stuff. I think the finish is more natural looking.

BangleGuy

Hi Eric, Man, that is some nice wood. Well done.
Glad to see someone else using Shellawax, I love that stuff. I think the finish is more natural looking.

Absolutely. This was the second time I have used Shellawax and it is really an easy finish to apply. I am sure it is not as hard as CA, but all of my small turnings are stabilized (since I own a Turntex system). Stabilizing really makes the wood hard, so the wax is just a nice polished coating without the plastic look.

Top Bottom