Ambient temperature and casting

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

gerryr

Well, up here in the north, winter could start tomorrow, in fact it will get below freezing tonight. I plan on doing my casting on a unheated porch. So, my question is what's the lower limit of temperature for casting?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

its_virgil

gerryr, Not sure what the lower limit will be. I cast in a shop off of my garage and it is well insulated. We don't get as cold here as in Montana. I cast year round and rarely use the heating part of the HVAC system. Maybe some searching on the casting forums could help, or contacting the supplier and see if there is a lower limit on temperature for casting. If I come across any info on temp's lower linmit, I'll post the findings.

Moisture is also a factor. Moisure in the air will cause the polyester resin to be cloudy. I have a drier in my air line and regularly drain the condensation from the compressor air tank. There should be a drain on the bottom of the air tank.

Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by gerryr
<br />Well, up here in the north, winter could start tomorrow, in fact it will get below freezing tonight. I plan on doing my casting on a unheated porch. So, my question is what's the lower limit of temperature for casting?

Alumilite

One other thing to consider when thinking about temperature is the mass you are intending to pour. With PR you have a little bit more control due to the amount of catalyst you add but with a urethane system, the bigger the mass the more heat you will generate helping the resin to cure properly. When using a silicone rubber mold, we often advise people to preheat the rubber mold prior to pouring the urethane resin into it especially when pouring thin or small parts. Even with a mass of 6 or more oz, I'd still recommend pouring it in at least 50 degrees F temperatures. We typically don't have much of an issue with pouring indoors due to the very low odor of our urethanes compared to the PR. So the low end question is rarely one we're asked.

Mike
Alumilite
800 447-9344

M

Mudder

Buy those little hand warmers and drop one in the bottom of the vessel.
That's what I do and I ain't burned the house down yet [:0]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom