"Am I OK"

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

OZturner

I have received several enquiries as to "Am I OK?"

For the many Friends that I have made, over the past 5 years, I need to provide some Explanation as to why my prolonged absence from the I.A.P.

I haven't been on IAP very much since February 6, when I was diagnosed as having had a "TIA" that is a "Transient Ischemic Attack" which is also know as a "Mini Stroke", also "the stroke you would want to have, if you had a choice".

While I was in Hospital, they were doing their Neurology Work Up, they were concerned with my Pulse Rate. Though I was on Medication of Blood Thinners, and Beta Blocker, to handle my pre-existing "Atrial Fibrillation".
They started juggling my Medication, and Monitoring, my pulse rate went to over 140 bpm, and at times, too as low as 34 bpm at rest.

Fortunately, my Cardiologist was rostered to work over the coming weekend, and as they believed that my TIA could have been a result of my Atrial Fibrillation.
They jointly agreed that it would be advantageous to continue with the regime of Blood Thinners (Apixaban) and the Beta Blocker (Sotalol) plus, to fit me with a monitoring Pacemaker. Which, as well as to impulse my heart when the pulse rate drops to the predetermined b.p.m., and to revert it into Sinus Rhythm.
It would also Monitor and record my Hearts Function data, then download the data, by Wi-Fi, to a Receiver Unit, which I have located on the floor, alongside my Bed.
The Receiver unit, which is the size of a small mobile phone, which automatically, receives the data from my Pacemaker, it is also fitted with a Sim Card, that sends the data to a Data Service Organisation in Germany, who then forward the required information to my Cardiologist. Who, if there is any significant change, will contact me and take any appropriate remedial corrective action.

An MRI showed that the TIA, has not left any noticeable damage to my Brain, and fortunately I do not have any of the obvious physical, signs of a Stroke, like the facial drooping of the eye, or mouth, nor any affect of the arms or legs.

But is has significantly affected my Mental Recall of Names and Words.
I will be talking or typing, and want to use a specific word that I know, but I can't think of it, and my speech, or typing has to stop until I think of it, or an alternate.
Even every day words like Dishwasher, Refrigerator, it is so frustrating.

Fortunately, thank God, I always remember my wife's name.

It is getting better, but it is also affecting my spelling, so without a spell checker I am so slow, annoyed and very frustrated.
It didn't help, when recently my computer died a long slow lingering death, and I had to get a new one.
They copied all my files, and programs, however and somehow, I have lost my spell checker, and will have to get it re-installed.
Great to see that it still operates here on the IAP PM's

On the Positive side, I am in good health, and I am still able to turn, and I continue to Instruct Wood turning, at the Men's Shed, every Thursday, and on my once a month rostered Saturday.

I will continue to hover on the sideline, and as I improve, I hope I will be able to participate as previously.
Kindest regards,
Brian.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Brian, you are missed here but we understand your health is more important. Continue to get better and when you feel well enough jump back in. Listen to the doctors and hope everything continues to improve. Well wishes.

robutacion

G'day Brian,

Glad to know things are getting better, you are indeed a lucky man to endup with no "major" side-effects from the TIA, your difficulty with remembering certain words that you know and want to use is not uncommon particularly to those that haven't had any TIA or related issues like me, I have that same problem, it is certainly annoying but not the end of the world.:)

Always happy to see you around.:wink::biggrin:

Cheers
George

Dr_N

Brian,
I haven't been on IAP long, but you had become a name that I was as accustomed to seeing. I am very sorry to hear about your medical issues, as they could be the story of any of us on here, but am very happy that you are progressing and seeing improvement. Stay positive and keep working on moving forward. Also glad to hear that your wife's name is one word that doesn't escape you, we would all be in trouble without those who love us most.

magpens

Thank you, Brian.

Sorry things have been as you described, but thankfully not any worse as they could have been.

We welcome your participation here any and every time you feel able for it.

Try to keep well and improving every day !!

elkhorn

Brian, my friend, you never cease to amaze me! Despite all the medical issues you continue to maintain an upbeat and positive attitude. Your brain seems to be working just fine - you are smart enough to remember Evelyn's name! Be well.

greenacres2

Glad to hear you are improving--and encourage you to continue on that direction!!

I'd rather read your postings with some spelling errors than not read them at all, so i'm hoping you are back with us on a more regular basis.

Best wishes,
earl

Brian,
I'm sorry to hear about your health problems, but looks like they are looking up.
My wife has had a number of the TIA's over the past few years and just 4 years ago had a full blown stroke after a long bout with a septic infection through her body. She's also had Atril Fib since she was 26 years old - she's 75 now - and just recently had a pacemaker installed to regulate that... she has a monitor that records information off the pacemaker and transmits it to her doctor every 30 days - when we can get a signal out here in the mountains.... cell phones do get a little iffy sometimes. She does have other problems, but is recovering nicely from the stroke and had no after effects from the TIA's.... hang in there and life will get better..
Wishing you good luck and good health for the future.

SJScher

Brian;
Sorry too hear about the medical problems but glad that all is getting under control. I always enjoy your post and have learned a lot from them, so please when you can, continue to post here. And do not worry about spelling errors, it is the content, not the spelling that we like. Take care and continue to get better.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Thanks for posting Brian. Been wondering about you. My wife had a TIA, and had amnesia for about 72 hours with it - 4 years ago and she used to be able to remember names from her first grade class. Names were always easy for her, even from the first time meeting people and even in Japanese. Then the TIA, bout with amnesia, and now she is about on my level of name remembrance, which is not good for someone that deals with the public as often as I do.

I do understand about "can't remember" basic words and names. I tell people that learning a new language (especially Japanese) past 35 years old and being immersed in it for a living is like being on drugs or having a TIA. Common original language words have to be "thought over and thought up". I use the thesaurus regularly. I remember the meaning that I want to convey but can't remember the common word. Very frustrating. People look at me like I'm an idiot for choosing a similar word but wrong word. Sometimes the Japanese word will come up but not the English.

I have not had a TIA, but my wife has. I watched the changes in her and know that it is a struggle. I will be praying for you and, AND Don't let that "can't remember the right word" stop you. We know your heart and encourage you to join in when ever you can.

Woodchipper

G'day, Brian. Trusting that everything will continue to improve. Prayers for you.
However, use caution with the pacemaker. A fellow had one and every time he saw a pretty girl, a garage door would go up!

OZturner

Glad to hear you are improving--and encourage you to continue on that direction!!

I'd rather read your postings with some spelling errors than not read them at all, so i'm hoping you are back with us on a more regular basis.

Best wishes,
earl

Thank you Earl, I will take it with one small session at a time,
Kindest regards
Brian.

Brian, Glad to see you are proving and also sorry for the hardships. My prayers for you!

Thank you Keith for your support and encouragement.
Kindest regards,
Brian.

Brian,
I'm sorry to hear about your health problems, but looks like they are looking up.
My wife has had a number of the TIA's over the past few years and just 4 years ago had a full blown stroke after a long bout with a septic infection through her body. She's also had Atril Fib since she was 26 years old - she's 75 now - and just recently had a pacemaker installed to regulate that... she has a monitor that records information off the pacemaker and transmits it to her doctor every 30 days - when we can get a signal out here in the mountains.... cell phones do get a little iffy sometimes. She does have other problems, but is recovering nicely from the stroke and had no after effects from the TIA's.... hang in there and life will get better..
Wishing you good luck and good health for the future.

Thank you Chuck for your words of encouragement, and the insight into problems that your wife has experienced with AF and TIA's, sounds like she has had quite a lot of episodes with them over quite a long period. It is very pleasing to hear that she is recovering from her Stroke, my Thoughts and Prayers are with her.
Kindest regards,
Brian.

Last edited:

OZturner

Great to hear from you. Prayers for a full recovery. I admire your attitude.

Thanks Tony for your Support, it is greatly appreciated.
Kindest regards,
Brian.

Very nice to see you visiting again. Be well and I hope for better days ahead.

Thanks Mark, for your kind thoughts and wishes, it is greatly appreciated.
Kindest regards,
Brian.

Good to hear that you are on the mend my friend. I know we all miss you encouraging words when we post here. God bless and we are all praying for your recovery.

Thanks Jim for your kind remarks, and support, it is greatly appreciated.
Sincere thanks,
Brian.

Glad to see you back. Stay well.

Thank Jim, for your kind reception and remarks, really appreciated.
Sincere thanks,
Brian.

Best of luck going forward, Brian. We want to see more of you around here.

Thanks John for your kind wishes an support, I will be trying.
Many thanks,
Brian.

Brian;
Sorry too hear about the medical problems but glad that all is getting under control. I always enjoy your post and have learned a lot from them, so please when you can, continue to post here. And do not worry about spelling errors, it is the content, not the spelling that we like. Take care and continue to get better.

Thank you Sandy, for your thoughtful comments and remarks, they are greatly appreciated.
Sincerely
Brian.

OZturner

Thanks for posting Brian. Been wondering about you. My wife had a TIA, and had amnesia for about 72 hours with it - 4 years ago and she used to be able to remember names from her first grade class. Names were always easy for her, even from the first time meeting people and even in Japanese. Then the TIA, bout with amnesia, and now she is about on my level of name remembrance, which is not good for someone that deals with the public as often as I do.

I do understand about "can't remember" basic words and names. I tell people that learning a new language (especially Japanese) past 35 years old and being immersed in it for a living is like being on drugs or having a TIA. Common original language words have to be "thought over and thought up". I use the thesaurus regularly. I remember the meaning that I want to convey but can't remember the common word. Very frustrating. People look at me like I'm an idiot for choosing a similar word but wrong word. Sometimes the Japanese word will come up but not the English.

I have not had a TIA, but my wife has. I watched the changes in her and know that it is a struggle. I will be praying for you and, AND Don't let that "can't remember the right word" stop you. We know your heart and encourage you to join in when ever you can.

Thank you Lee, for your insightful comments on the "I can't remember" episodes that one experiences. The Neurologist told me that difficulty with words and names is a very common episode with TIA. I thought that my becoming an Octogenarian, last December may have had something to do with the difficulty I was experiencing, perhaps even more so than the TIA impact, all he could say was that it probably wouldn't have helped my "Word / Name difficulty. But I am pleased that the frequencies of "difficulties" is diminishing, which is encouraging.
I can associate with your remarks peoples reaction to choosing the wrong word, I spent many years running Technical Training sessions for Engineers, in our Dealer Networks, and I was quite comfortable on my feet, unscripted, getting across what needed to be covered.
To now, not having a constant verbal flow, with every pause seeming like an Eternity, is most demoralizing.
Again thank you Lee, for your insight, and for your contribution to our IAP
Kindest regards,
Brian.

Good to see you back and coming out of an "event" like that is great. Take care and keep posting.

Thank you Pete, for your support and encouragement.
Kind regards,
Brian.

G'day, Brian. Trusting that everything will continue to improve. Prayers for you.
However, use caution with the pacemaker. A fellow had one and every time he saw a pretty girl, a garage door would go up!

Thanks John for your kind and thoughtful remarks, comments and advice.
I will take your caution to heart, but what should I avoid "Pretty Girls", or "Garage Doors"?
Let's make it Garage Doors eh!?
Kindest regards,
Brian.

When I saw TIA, my first thought was, I have that. And then I read the rest of the post. My TIA is Technical Issues Anger :)

Thanks for your comments Paul, You are Oh so right.
I have a "Car Less Garage" (aka Workshop) full of UFO's (Un- Finished Objects) many, if not most of these, fall into your definition of TIA's.
I am not permitted to let anyone into the "Workshop" under strict instructions from SWMBO, as she will get embarrassed, at the Chaos, and Stigma of "What will they Think".
So I must get "A Round TOIT" one Day.
Kindest regards,
Brian.

Woodchipper

Avoid garage doors. At my age, the young girls avoid me! I am fortunate that one lady has stuck by me for a bit over 46 years.
Trust that everything will continue to improve for you. G'day, mate!

Hi Brian! Nice to see you back in the thick of it. Sorry I didn't respond to this earlier and I'm sorry I didn't respond until now. Hang tough my friend. My father was stationed in Australia during WWII on a sub and he always told me that the "Aussies" were always the toughest to fight with. I think most Australians have that fighting spirit, you included- Tom

OZturner

Hi Brian! Nice to see you back in the thick of it. Sorry I didn't respond to this earlier and I'm sorry I didn't respond until now. Hang tough my friend. My father was stationed in Australia during WWII on a sub and he always told me that the "Aussies" were always the toughest to fight with. I think most Australians have that fighting spirit, you included- Tom

Thank you Tom for your kind post, there is a very strong association of Mutual Respect, and Friendship between many Americans, as without the American War of Independence in 1776, Britain wouldn't have needed for a Penal Colony the Great Southern Land, that Lieutenant James Cook had "Discovered" and Mapped a large part of the Coast Line in 1770. :eek:

in 1778 Captain Arthur Philip brought a number of ships with Convicts, and a small Garrison.
He entered what a bay called by Cook and Sir Joseph Banks as Botany Bay, but as there was not a ready or easily discovered a supply of fresh water, he journeyed several miles north and entered a bay with a somewhat narrow opening through a Headland, into what was later named Port Jackson, which is now referred too as Sydney Harbour. :rolleyes:
Here he found a good supply of Water, and it was there that they built the settlement now known as Sydney, so named after Lord Sydney.

Australians have fought alongside, the American Servicemen, in all Global Conflicts, since and including WW1. :highfive:
This has developed into mutual respect, appreciation, friendship, and a great companionship, between both nations, and continues today for those who choose to pursue it, and in particular, to those who fought alongside one another.
Again thank you my Friend for your kind wishes and your PM's :biggrin:
Kindest regards,
Brian.

prayers for a speedy recovery

Thank you Phil,my friend, your kind comments are graciously received and appreciated. :highfive:
Kindest regards,
Brian.

Brian, I hope everything is going well for you.

Thank you Chad, for your kind Post. :)
Daily I am improving, I feel I am recalling from the depths of my" Memory Bank", noticeably better every day.
I may never get back to what I was, but I think that may have naturally occurred, just with the passage of the years.:eek:
Kindest regards,
Brian.

Last edited:

Bob in SF

Hi Brian - Glad to hear you are improving - feel free to private message me for a few tips to speed things along.

Warm regards, Friend - Bob

OZturner

Hi Brian - Glad to hear you are improving - feel free to private message me for a few tips to speed things along.

Warm regards, Friend - Bob

Thank you Bob for your kind words, I will take you up on your generous offer, and send a PM to you.
Sincere thanks, my Friend.
Brian.

Brian

I wish you the very best. Its a hard thing to fight but medicine has come a long way. Listen to the doctors, keep a positive mind and you will be OK. You are in my prayers.

Preston

Preston, thank you or your kind advice, and thoughtfulness.
It is greatly appreciated.
Kindest regards
Brian.

wizard

Brian,
It's been a quite while since I have been on the site and

just saw your post. I am just so very very happy and grateful that you are recovering. Your post in itself is a testament to the resilience of the human spirit. Please take care of yourself. Bless all of the family and physicians that supported and continued to support you n your road back to health.

Warmest Regards,

Doc:)

RobS

Brian,

Wishing you well with your recovery. Your kind comments have always motivated me and others. It sounds like you have aphasia, and although it is an extreme pain in the tail, I'm very glad you are alive and kicking.

RobS

OZturner

Brian,
It's been a quite while since I have been on the site and

just saw your post. I am just so very very happy and grateful that you are recovering. Your post in itself is a testament to the resilience of the human spirit. Please take care of yourself. Bless all of the family and physicians that supported and continued to support you n your road back to health.

Warmest Regards,

Doc:)

Thank you Doc for your support and well wishes, I like you have not been on the site, as much as I would like, but it is all getting better, every day.
But I wish there was a switch I could flick, and retrieve from the file in my head, the word or name I want to say or type.
So frustrating I can't even use a Thesaurus or Dictionary to get an alternate word.
Still Evelyn, my wife is getting some laughs from what I ask her, when you cannot say the name of an everyday item, such as Washing Machine, Lawn Mower, and to get help, I have to give a short story to explain, like "what you put your dirty clothes in".
But I am like the man with no shoes, however I am aware of those men without feet.
My TIA could have easily been the real thing, and I thank God that it wasn't.
Again than Doc for your Friendship, you continue to be an inspiration with all you do, for those who need it.
Kindest regards,
Brian.

Brian,

Wishing you well with your recovery. Your kind comments have always motivated me and others. It sounds like you have aphasia, and although it is an extreme pain in the tail, I'm very glad you are alive and kicking.

RobS
Thank you Rob, for your kind remarks and wishes. I hadn't considered Aphasia, as the MRI showed, some old damage in the area that controls verbal recall, and I am getting better a little at a time.
I share your joy and I am "Very Glad I am alive and Kicking"
Kindest regards,
Brian

Top Bottom