Aluminum Refresher

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from creativewriting

I didn't realize how long it had been since I had made a fountain pen until I fired of the lathe. This pen was a first for me in a couple areas and also helped me get my taps, dies, and tooling back in order from a long break. Once I was done with this one I was online ordering a couple new drill bits and some metric taps and dies that will make things a bit easier. This one still needs a trip to the vibratory tumbler to clean up some of the tool marks. I am also contemplating adding a clip, but since this will mainly be a reference pen it is not a high priority.

Attachments

• IMG_3957.jpg
    IMG_3957.jpg
    177.9 KB · Views: 330
  • IMG_3962.jpg
    IMG_3962.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 263
  • IMG_3961.jpg
    IMG_3961.jpg
    176.1 KB · Views: 197
  • IMG_3958.jpg
    IMG_3958.jpg
    156.8 KB · Views: 207
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

frank123

Post a pic of it after you tumble it, I'd like to see the finish that tumbling produces. What media are you going to use in the tumbler for this?

BTW, nice pen.

All I have at the moment is fine ground walnut shells. Going to pick up some fine ceramic abrasive to see if that works on the first run. If I am correct the walnut shells are only good for polishing. More pics to come....

Post a pic of it after you tumble it, I'd like to see the finish that tumbling produces. What media are you going to use in the tumbler for this?

BTW, nice pen.

Brooks803

I think you might be talking about the bend in the end. This feed and nib section is one I used to check fit when I turn a new pen. It is the only one I have at the moment and is beat all to heck!

Quite a 'beak' on that nib. Is it a customised one?

The pen looks great Keith! I'd also love to see it after a tumbling.

I have a nib section that I use for that exact same thing. It's bent all to heck and back. Those kit nibs are finally good for something!

I went and got some 1/4 resin media at harbor freight to see what it would do compared to the walnut shells. Last night before I turned in for the night I tossed the pen into the tumbler and let it go till morning. I don't know if it needed to go that long, but this is all in the name of experimentation. You can notice a huge difference in the finish of the aluminum. From what I read this is called a speckle finish. There are no noticeable tool marks in the pen. If the goal was to only remove tool marks I would call this a success. The threads are still in great shape even after 8 hours in the tumbler.

The next step will be to figure out how to go from this to a more clean finish. I have fine ground walnut shell so I will see what happens after a few hours with the nuts:biggrin:!

Attachments

• IMG_3964.jpg
    IMG_3964.jpg
    172.5 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_3968.jpg
    IMG_3968.jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 100
  • speckle fountain2.jpg
    speckle fountain2.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 102
Top Bottom