Aluminum HoneyComb Beauty

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from NewfoundlandLaw

This was a hard one, but I love the finished result.

I started with Aluminum Structural Honeycomb. By adding Alumilite, black dye and deep blue mica powder to the Honeycomb and subjecting same to 55PSI of pressure over 12 hours, a 1"x1"x5" solid pen blank was born.

This pen blank was then carefully turned on the lathe. (An amazingly delicate process given the materials tendency to shatter along the aluminum joins.) Once this process was complete, it was wet-sanded from 100 grit all the way to 9000 grit, then buffed with plastic polish and finished with pure carnauba wax. The whole process from start to finish takes approximately 5 hours.

I'm very proud of this one so I thought I would share.

IMG_5537.JPG
IMG_5534.JPG
IMG_5535.JPG
IMG_5533.JPG
IMG_5532.JPG
IMG_5536.JPG

"Pen Turning on the Rock"

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leehljp

Member Liaison
Great looking, No, Excellent looking pen!

I can certainly appreciate your work ethic in developing that pen. My first thought was: "starting with 100 grit? - WAY to course", then realized and spoke to myself, "Hey, that is exactly the kind of caution and care that you (meaning me) do on a first few delicate designs to prevent blowouts or separations!"

Congratulations! Preventative Caution is a good help-mate, and gets excellent results!

Great looking, No, Excellent looking pen!

I can certainly appreciate your work ethic in developing that pen. My first thought was: "starting with 100 grit? - WAY to course", then realized and spoke to myself, "Hey, that is exactly the kind of caution and care that you (meaning me) do on a first few delicate designs to prevent blowouts or separations!"

Congratulations! Preventative Caution is a good help-mate, and gets excellent results!

Very well said. When doing these first time designs, 10 extra minutes of work can save the whole project.

I am a knife maker as well and while it normally takes 8-12 hours to make a knife, I might take 15-20 hours on a new design.

"Pen Turning on the Rock"

Top Bottom