Aluminum honeycomb and resin wrapped around a Majestic Squire.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from More4dan

More4dan

I picked up this really cool blank at the SW Houston Woodcraft. The guy who makes them works there. I've seen similar for knife handles and always thought it would make a great pen blank and I believe it does.

Danny
024b08bf462d84683d929ca7cdebf7a1.jpg
5eafb3980ba013cf537b3b94ccd7c4ca.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

More4dan

I was warned that some pieces may pop out of the aluminum when initially turning round. And I did have 2 pieces do exactly that. Once turned round no more did. I'm guessing by the time the OD was 0.7" all was good. It turned like AA. Drilled the same but with more noise. You must keep the blank cool or the aluminum will expand and could separate from the resin.

I rough turned using HSS on my metal lathe and finished turning by hand with carbide. I did use a sanding block for initial sanding to keep the honeycomb from "raising" above the surface. I sanded 320 dry, 500 wet, and MM through 12000 wet. Then pink rouge on my buffer.

More4dan

Thanks everyone for your kind comments. I'm looking forward to playing with this new material. I wonder if it would work for a kitless design and be strong enough without a glued in tube.

RobS

I believe the website says aluminite. So you should be able to tap and thread it without issue. The bigger question is if the resin to aluminum honey comb bond is strong enough.

More4dan

I believe the website says aluminite. So you should be able to tap and thread it without issue. The bigger question is if the resin to aluminum honey comb bond is strong enough.

Rob that is my concern as the material gets thin. I'll have to use a drop piece to test it.
Good to know on the threading. As a back up I could make an aluminum sleeve for the threads.

Top Bottom