Aluminum Barons

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Dalecamino

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
A good friend of ours sent these two Chrome Baron Roller Ball kits, and said he would like me to make Aluminum barrels to fit these kits. That was no problem. Finishing was a bit of a challenge, as it's been quite awhile since the last time I polished this stuff, as well as spraying with an aerosol can. Three coats of VHT high gloss clear. I personally like the slightly brushed look in contrast with the black accents, and Chrome parts. Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• New_1_Aluminum Barons 004.jpg
    New_1_Aluminum Barons 004.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 349
  • New_1_New_1_Aluminum Barons 003.jpg
    New_1_New_1_Aluminum Barons 003.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 273
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Those are beautiful Chuck! I still have too many tools to consider a metal lathe (one that works :roll eyes:), but I may have to try it on my wood lathe. I've turned small segments, but never a full barrel.

Great set! I bet the bench likes getting messy again.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Those are beautiful Chuck! I still have too many tools to consider a metal lathe (one that works :roll eyes:), but I may have to try it on my wood lathe. I've turned small segments, but never a full barrel.

Thanks Mark! It CAN be done on a wood lathe. The beauty of the Barons, are that both barrels are straight from end to end. I actually have a 9" square area on the bench under the window now. :biggrin:

jttheclockman

Very nice Chuck. Thanks for showing.

Mark it is very easy to do on a wood lathe. Turns just fine. The big thing is to keep the motor cover or if you have electronic speed control, watch the slag from getting into it. I have done it a few times.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader

Mark it is very easy to do on a wood lathe. Turns just fine. The big thing is to keep the motor cover or if you have electronic speed control, watch the slag from getting into it. I have done it a few times.
Thanks John. I grabbed this from my IAP album to show Mark. It was a Christmas swap pen for Hans Wunch one year. I went on to have it powder coated red to keep in the spectrum of the swap rules. Had to be a Christmes color.

http://www.penturners.org/photos/index.php?n=11778

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Professional looking pens. What type aluminum did you use and why did you spray them?

Ben
Thanks Ben. It is 6061 T6 If they are not coated with something, or anodized, the aluminum will turn your fingers black. I have the anodizing equipment, but setting it up is quite an operation, and I would no doubt have to call on Mike Redburn to help me remember the steps. :biggrin:

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator

As soon as I stop playing with these Chevrons and smaller segmenting... this is on my very short list!

Thanks John. I grabbed this from my IAP album to show Mark. It was a Christmas swap pen for Hans Wunch one year. I went on to have it powder coated red to keep in the spectrum of the swap rules. Had to be a Christmes color.

This is, as well as the previous pens, beautiful IMO! Sometimes.. OK, many times... Simplier is better!

The clean appearance of these aluminum blanks are very appealing.

stonepecker

Thanks Mark! It CAN be done on a wood lathe. The beauty of the Barons, are that both barrels are straight from end to end. I actually have a 9" square area on the bench under the window now. :biggrin:

Who cleaned it out for you? :rolleyes::biggrin:

bpgoldo

Chuck, world class fit and finish. You make me want to add Metals to the mix, Ohhhh the tools. Oooh the new learning curve....what a challenge. Be very very proud of your work.

jttheclockman

This is one I made 6 years ago and just kept it with a brushed look instead of highly polished. It still looks like new now. Has a few nicks in it because it is a desk pen that I use all the time. Made it on my wood lathe with no problem and at that time did it with just my skew. Did not own carbide tools.

http://www.penturners.org/photos/images/999/large/1_Copy_of_IMGP0368.JPG

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Know that certainly is a set I would love to own. Great job !!
Thanks Terry!

Those are awesome.
Thank you Jim!

Those look great Chuck, those would be nice to own.

Mike
Thank you Mike!

As soon as I stop playing with these Chevrons and smaller segmenting... this is on my very short list!

This is, as well as the previous pens, beautiful IMO! Sometimes.. OK, many times... Simplier is better!

The clean appearance of these aluminum blanks are very appealing.

Beautiful Work there Chuck. You can tell quality when you see it and those have the look.
Thanks Wayne! I'm glad you like them :biggrin:

Chuck, world class fit and finish. You make me want to add Metals to the mix, Ohhhh the tools. Oooh the new learning curve....what a challenge. Be very very proud of your work.
Thank you! Yes....there are a few things that are different. But, these CAN be made on your wood lathe. Just try it out.:wink:

This is one I made 6 years ago and just kept it with a brushed look instead of highly polished. It still looks like new now. Has a few nicks in it because it is a desk pen that I use all the time. Made it on my wood lathe with no problem and at that time did it with just my skew. Did not own carbide tools.

http://www.penturners.org/photos/images/999/large/1_Copy_of_IMGP0368.JPG
Nice John! Mine to Hans was made with a skew as well.

Outstanding Pens, Chuck.
They look Like Surgical Instruments,
Superb Fit, So Pristine, and Polished.
Truly Magnificent.
Congratulations,
Brian.
Thank you Brian! You're very kind with your appraisal. :biggrin:

Top Bottom