Aluminum and acrylic Schmidt RPS

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

More4dan

I've had some free time on my hands lately and I've been wanting to try the Schmidt RPS Rollerball. This lets you use fountain pen ink in a rollerball tip. Supposedly you can swap the RPS with a #5 FP nib to make a convertible pen. I've found that to be not so easy with a JOWO #5 feed, the dimensions are different. Maybe the Schmidt #5 is closer. The body and cap are 6061 Aluminum finished with a brushed finish to help hide future wear. The section is Acrylic Acetate, made to accept the Schmidt K6 threaded ink converter.

All the parts were turned on a 7 x10 metal lathe using a pattern tracing modification to make the tapers. Using my new slow speed feed left a surface finish that only required sanding at 500 grit for the final brushed finish. The clip is from a PSI seam ripper kit. The section threads are M9 x 0.75 and the Cap threads are M11 x 0.80 triple start. The body is 11mm diameter and the cap is 13mm.

DDBDD40C-CFBF-4740-BC34-2B222669AEF5.jpeg
341754AC-0E57-408A-BC29-AD9C067AD892.jpeg
CF1BFCC8-EEED-44CF-AE6C-F79C5ADB08F8.jpeg

Danny

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

VERY beautiful !!!

Thanks for the detailed specs !

I like the symmetrical ends ... no doubt due to your pattern tracing mod.

You musta had a seam ripper left over from a prev. project, eh ? ... :)

Where did you buy the nib ?

bmachin

More4dan

It certainly should be since Schmidt designed them to work that way. Although here's a link to a thread discussing the system from a few years back where somebody quotes Mike Redburn as saying that the JOWO #5 is a direct replacement(?).

https://www.penturners.org/threads/does-anyone-still-use-the-schmidt-prs.146836/#post-1911158

FWIW,
Bill

I've come up with a section design that should work for both the JOWO #5 FP and the Schmidt PRS. The JOWO section has a smaller diameter feed but has a larger diameter section at the very end near the nib. I think I can drill the front section designed for the Schmidt to also fit the front of the JOWO and work for both.

I want to try it out first, then I'll post a drawing. I'd like to come up with a design that lets me switch back and forth between the two. Thanks for the link, I'll check it out.

Danny

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app

Last edited:

More4dan

I've successfully designed and made a front section that will work with a Schmidt PRS rollerball, a Schmidt #5 FP, and a JOWO #5 FP. I'll make a separate post with details,photos, and dimensioned drawings.

Danny

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app

magpens

Very nice, Danny !!! . Looking forward to the diagram(s) that you plan to post, now that you have achieved your goal ! . Thanks !

Last edited:
Top Bottom