Aluminium Baron.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Ligget

Ligget

Hi everyone, this is something a little different from the Ligget Pen Works workshop, it`s an aluminium Baron rollerball with black titanium hardware.

I turned these barrels on my new metal lathe, then sanded on my DVR.

Barrels were purchased from Johnycnc (John Goodin) and they are a joy to work, another excellent product John!:D

Comments welcome!

2008410192046_alumincsd.jpg

2008410192119_aluminopen.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ligget

Originally posted by Tanner

Oh, wow...that's beautiful!!!! Excellent, excellent job!! I like your choice of kit as well. Did you coat it with anything?

I wet sanded right up to 12000mm, applied 2 coats of Hut plastic polish then a coat of Ren Wax.

Only used plastic polish as I never had any metal polish, got some out shopping today though!:D

Mark,

After seeing some of your nice work with metal pens and your indication that it could be done on a wood lathe with woodworking tools I attempted an aluminum pen. It weren't easy but I came up with a black chrome Cigar pen. Sort of. It's got problems from sanding across bushings too much trying to get out ring scratches that never quite disappeared. I also sanded all the way to 12000MM and found I'd made it really slippery! Do you do something to counteract this? I've noticed most commercial aluminum pens stay very matte.

redfishsc

I wet sanded right up to 12000mm, applied 2 coats of Hut plastic polish then a coat of Ren Wax.

Only used plastic polish as I never had any metal polish, got some out shopping today though!:D

Just sand with the micromesh or even just 1000 grit sandpaper and buff with tripoli/white diamond like plastic. I have done that with brass with great success.

pipeyeti

Originally posted by redfishsc

Just sand with the micromesh or even just 1000 grit sandpaper and buff with tripoli/white diamond like plastic. I have done that with brass with great success.

Just remember when buffing brass or aluminum not to use your good buffing wheels. Pick up some cheap ones from the hardware store. Once they are used on aluminum or brass they can't be cleaned. I polish alot of brass with my tampers and have dedicated wheels for it.

Ligget

Originally posted by retired-sofa-spud

Mark,

I also sanded all the way to 12000MM and found I'd made it really slippery! Do you do something to counteract this? I've noticed most commercial aluminum pens stay very matte.

Greg this slipperyness is OK on a Baron as you hold the hex nib to write, aluminium blanks on a Sierra are great too as the bit you hold to write is away from the barrel!:)

When I do a slimline I will use the knurling tool to put a grippy design on a little of the lower barrel.;):D

Buzz

Originally posted by ligget

Originally posted by Buzz

Absolutely beautiful Mark. It it tubed as pen normal blanks?

Chris you don`t need to use tubes with metal blanks, this Baron has none, you could use them if you want to I suoppose.:)

So, even more drill bits to buy, just what we need. Or do the different diameters for the fittings work with existing bits we would have in our usually very extensive pen bit collections?

Ligget

Chris the best person to ask would be John Goodin (Johnycnc) as I never drilled these, I bought them already drilled from John.

The inside diameter accepts the push fit pen components very well as if you were assembling a normal tubed barrel.:)

Top Bottom