Alumilite Question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jkeithrussell

I don't yet know how to cast properly with PR, but I'll go ahead and start pestering with Alumilite questions as I can already see that I will be switching for the most part to Alumilite.

I bought a bunch of paste pigments and powders for PR -- can I use them with Alumilite, or do I have to buy the Alumilite dyes and powders?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ElMostro

Don't know about the past pigments but the powder pigments should work just fine. Just make sure you mix it well and that it does not clump-up.
Eugene

jkeithrussell

I have a bunch of the "liquid coloring agents" from US Composites. Their website says: These pigments are used for tinting of polyester resins, gelcoats, epoxy resins, and some urethanes. When combined they give a solid(opaque) color appearance.

TomW

Water free is the key. I use Pearl-x powders and will put in oven for awhile if even a hint of high humidity exists. If the pignments are not water based i'll bet they will work fine. Doesn't take much to test one.

Tom

jkeithrussell

The liquid coloring agents work just fine. They are non-water based.

I've had a lot of fun with my first few Alumilite castings. Works vastly better than PR (sets up quicker, no pinholes, no horrendous stench), but you have to work quickly (and it's expensive).

I've also had better luck lately with my PR blanks. I think I've worked out the "pinhole" issues that I was having.

Thanks for all of the tips.

Texatdurango

Keith, Asking about compatibility of compounds mixed with Alumilite here is fine but your apt to get just as much misinformation as good information. The times I spoke with the folks at Alumilite, they were very helpful in answering all my questions, I would recommend calling them and asking them about mixing what you have with their product.

I can't help at all with an answer since all I have used so far in Alumilite is PearlEx powders and the liquid dyes Alumilite sells. The combination of the two will probably be all I will ever use since mixing their colors will give me any color I can imagine and the PearlEx will add any amount of shimmer or sparkle I can imagine.

Top Bottom