alumilite question...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TBCbushings

I was wondering if I was doing something wrong. I can't seem to get the shine as pr. I know it's different but just can't get it. I love turning this stuff but the shine is just not there..ugh I was thinking of ca over and then polish...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TBCbushings

I sand through 600, 800, 1500, 2400, 4000, 12,000. And then polish and buff... I know I'm doing something wrong..lol I use the same process with PR and shines like glass....

Ed McDonnell

I wonder if you are over heating the alumilite as you buff. I think I remember the temp resistance spec for "clear" on the alumilite website being pretty low.

Ed

BSea

Try newer MM.I know I had some problems with alumilite in the past, but with some new sandpaper, and understanding it takes a bit more time with alumilite, my results improved. I think you can get it to shine almost like PR, but not as easily. At least that's been my experience.

TBCbushings

I worked on it a bit and got it to really shine...took a long time but I got it...

ForumRunner_20150717_191345.png

Quality Pen

I had a clear alumilite blank but could NOT get it to shine like I'm used to.

I even re did the entire thing after a while.. still not up to par. It's weird, but I just don't think it COULD for that particular blank. Using the same methods on PR I can get "glass" grade Heisenberg quality...

BUT... is it true that alumilite clear degrades or clouds from UV? I thought I read something like that but don't quote me yet!

Top Bottom