Alumilite in layers

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

holmqer

Local Chapter Leader
I know I can pour successive layers of PR in different colors and as long as its still tacky, the layers will bond to one another as if it is a single piece.

If I pour a layer of Alumilite over an already cured one will they bond the same way, or do I have to do successive pours within the demold time?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
I believe Curtis was saying you could pour multiple layers and not even
see the lines. Unless of course you're pouring different colors..

jthompson1995

I've had the same experience as Curtis. Once I mixed too little alumilite to completely fill a WW cast and didn't have time to mix more before it set, so I poured another color after it cured. I could see the line, but only because of the different colors. There was no discernable line otherwise.

I only waited about 15 mins between pouring the first and second pours, so the first pour was sill slightly soft (I could push and imprint my thumbprint) so this may have helped with the adhesion.

(I swear it only happened once :wink:)

holmqer

Local Chapter Leader
My goal is to build up different color layers, and would prefer to let the different layers bond during the casting / curing process rather than glue them.

Imagine things like some of the bottle stopper blanks where part is opaque to hide the threads and part is clear and encapsulates something.

What I don't know is if I have to devote a window of time long enough to do every layer within the demold time of the previous layer, or if I can just pour a new layer every time it's convienient

holmqer

Local Chapter Leader
Thanks, I just got my order of Alumilite in and have not yet played.

Does anyone know if Alumilite bonds to things like Delrin, UHMW or Teflon? I am looking for something that I can embed in a casting then easily remove later. I suppose I could use wax and melt it out later, but if I could just buy some Delrin rods that would make life real easy.

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Eric,

It will not bond to UHMW or Teflon, don't know about delrin. As for embeding wax and melting out later...don't think that will work since Alumilite generates quite a bit of heat when it cures and would melt the wax then.

Alumilite

Hey guys,

It will not bond to Delrin, if it did we would be a much bigger company and specializing in adhesives! However some people have used lost wax methods successfully. Most machinable waxes have a higher softening point than the heat generated by the exotherm of the clear.

Mike
Alumilite
800 447-9344

Alumilite

Will keep that in mind but must admit I've needed an interpreter more than once trying to follow a few of the threads on this forum. Sure do enjoy observing the creations though.

Mike

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
Eric, I do it all the time. Mostly just dump my excess into a bottle stopper mold. Sometimes they come out nice and sometimes you get this.

Attachments

• IMG_1496.jpg
    IMG_1496.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 284

FrioRiverTX

Okay fellow turners. It's been a disaster for me to suspend objects in alumilite clear without seeing a witness line. I've tried pouring my 2nd layer 25 minutes after the first layer I take it out of the pressure pot and the mold is still very very warm so I know it hasnt cured fully yet but when I take it out after the 2nd pour and after 24 hrs of letting it cure the witness line is very easy to see. Even after turning, sanding and polishing the piece it is very noticeable. Any ideas before I drop another 500g of clear? I've read to try Clear for the first layer and then after the demold time to come over the top with Alumilte Amazing clear cast epoxy. Anyone know if this is true? I know it will take much longer for a demold with AAC but it's worth it. I've also heard to take the clear out of pp at 15 minutes to where its still soft enough to leave a thumbprint and pour the 2nd layer. Any ideas would be great. I just know I've tried 45 min and 25 minutes with no difference.
Thank you in advance.

bmachin

This isn't an answer to your question, but note that this is a 10 1/2 year old thread. Today's Alumilite ain't your Grandpa's Alumilite, so any info here MAY be (and probably is) completely out of date.

Bill

JoeCallahan

Okay fellow turners. It's been a disaster for me to suspend objects in alumilite clear without seeing a witness line. I've tried pouring my 2nd layer 25 minutes after the first layer I take it out of the pressure pot and the mold is still very very warm so I know it hasnt cured fully yet but when I take it out after the 2nd pour and after 24 hrs of letting it cure the witness line is very easy to see. Even after turning, sanding and polishing the piece it is very noticeable. Any ideas before I drop another 500g of clear? I've read to try Clear for the first layer and then after the demold time to come over the top with Alumilte Amazing clear cast epoxy. Anyone know if this is true? I know it will take much longer for a demold with AAC but it's worth it. I've also heard to take the clear out of pp at 15 minutes to where its still soft enough to leave a thumbprint and pour the 2nd layer. Any ideas would be great. I just know I've tried 45 min and 25 minutes with no difference.
Thank you in advance.
The trick is to pour all of your resin at once and wait till the end of the working time to add the objects you want to suspend.

-Joe

Top Bottom