Alumilite Failure to set

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

CabinetMaker

I just cast my first on using using Alumilite Amazing Crystal Clear. I watched the Alumilite videos and mixed it one to one by weight. It was in the mold for 36 hours and I just pulled it out. It is stickey and rubbery. Can the blank be saved? If so, how? If you have any ideas about what wrong, or what I did wrong, I'd love to hear them.

Thanks!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bmachin

I'm a little bit confused about what product you're using. There's Alumilite Clear and there's Amazing Clear Cast. Clear is a urethane and Clear Cast is an epoxy.

My best guess is that you have Amazing Clear Cast which should be mixed 1:1 by volume but you mixed it according to Clear instructions which is 1:1 by weight. There is a significant difference density between the two parts (A side 1.15, B side .97) so measuring by weight puts your volumes way out of kilter.

If you're using Clear, then I take it all back and have no idea what's wrong. About the only thing that can go with Clear is to get the weights wrong. As little as a 5% error can make a difference.

Bill

its_virgil

Alumilite is a brand not a product. Alumilite makes several resins. Amazing clear cast is an epoxy and mixed by volume, not weight. So. If you mixed by weight then that is probably the problem. Also, epoxy resin is slow to cure. Give it a few days and see if it cures. Try again and mix by volume.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Chippa

Yeah sounds like you used the amazing clear cast. If your casting is tacky but hard enough to remove from a mold you can throw talc on it to get rid of that.

I did this same thing making knife scales a while back and it "mostly" cured but it took about 5 days. When I got into it there were still spots throughout that hadn't. If you wanna wait you can give it a go but it might be a mess inside.

If you are using the amazing clear cast, mix 1:1 by volume and mix for 3 mins - leave it in the pressure pot for 12-16 hours at 50 psi. Demold and let them sit another day to fully cure.

Those are the steps that work for me at least, the paperwork says to demold after like 2 or 4 hours.

CabinetMaker

The product I used was this:
1566416797922.png

I scanned the QR code and watched the videos. It told me one to one volume or weight. I weighed it but I also compared the volume. The bottles were at the same level so I assumed I was good for volume and weight. I should know by know not to assume. Sounds like my best bet is to give it a few days and see if it hardens up a bit.

Thanks for the input.

howsitwork

I've just made the same mistake and it goes tacky / rubbery rather than fully set. Also had some air bubble despite 40 PSI pressure treatment. Next time going for 55psi and i'll check my volume more carefully!

Anyone any recommended brands of epoxy to try ?

Ian

Top Bottom