Alumilite colors and Cactus Juice?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hanau

Any recommendation on how much color to add to cactus juice when stabilizing?

say i want to make a quart of red how much red Alumilite dye would be a good starting point to to make a quart?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Add it until it looks almost black. Then add a few drops of yellow if you want a good red. If you don't add the yellow, it will be on the blue side of red in the color spectrum which will end up being more of a deep pink.

You will have to do some experimenting because even if someone was able to give you a formula they used on one species, it will be different on a different species.

crabcreekind

Add it until it looks almost black. Then add a few drops of yellow if you want a good red. If you don't add the yellow, it will be on the blue side of red in the color spectrum which will end up being more of a deep pink.

You will have to do some experimenting because even if someone was able to give you a formula they used on one species, it will be different on a different species.

Thank you, I was wondering how much I needed to add. Very useful info to us stabilizers.

hanau

going to practice with red
100 drops red
20 drops yellow
32 oz cactus juice.

2 1" thick pieces of Spalted Hackberry

2 1" thick pieces of Spalted HACKBERRY

Last edited:
I used to add until I thought I had enough then doubled it. It takes a lot of dye to get the job done. It is worth it though. Dying with Cactus juice is so cool and you can get some real cool effects too.
il_570xN.388982176_f6a0.jpg

hanau

Been under vacuum for 1 hr still a few bubbles going to let it sit for 1-30 mins then apply a vacuum again.
Oven is heating up about 200 degrees on thermometer.

hanau

I finally got back out to the shop today.
Sorry for the big pictures didn't want to resize so that everything can been seen.

The pictures before I split them and after.

Block A

Block B

Outsides of both blocks after splitting.

Inside of both blocks
If you look on the ones on the right "B' there is some natural wood color that the stabilizing didn't penetrate to.

And the tank after cleaning it up. Could not get all the dye out of the seams.
Used warm soapy water to clean it with.

Glove there showing son and nephew it expanding when you place a vacuum on the chamber.

Top Bottom