Alumilite clear resin alternate I found.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Leica

Same parent company. Magikast Clear Fast Cast Resin

Last edited:

bmachin

Magikast has several urethane resins which appear to match up with Alumilite's in terms of cure times. I looked at the SDS's for their Clear Fast Cast Resin which has a 420 second pot life making it equivalent (at least in terms of pot life) to Alumilite Clear. The chemistry listed on the SDS of both brands is the same although that doesn't mean that the products are identical--SDS only lists safety related ingredients). Whether they perform equally is unknown without testing.

It's worth noting that Alumilite worked very closely with Curtis Seebeck (and others?) in developing Alumilite Clear from the original Water Clear especially for the turning community. Water Clear is still in the product line and has the same ingredients as Clear listed in it's SDS.

Given the history, I would stay with Alumilite. It is one of Polytek's consumer divisions where Raw Material Suppliers (Magikast) is an industrial division. A look at their respective websites will tell you where you will find the kind of support that you want.

As far as toxicity goes that SDS doesn't appear to be any worse than Amazing Clear Cast Plus or T-88; just to choose a random casting epoxy and an adhesive.

FWIW,
Bill

Top Bottom