Alumilite clear issues

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rroderick

Can someone help with this?
I just took 2 blanks out of the pressure pot and both were solid white through and through. I am using alumilite clear slow.
I am new to casting.

Thank you,

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
Sounds like moisture. Any amunt of mositure will cause Alumilite clear to turn white. Could also be a mixing problem,, too much A side. Make sure you are using a 1:1 by weight ratio. Measure to the 10th of a gram if possible.

Jadey

Same issue here, age of the resin and moisture. When it was new (now about 9 months old) never had an issue. Put a dryer in line and still have issues. Some posts say too much A does this as well, but mixed it the same as always and had perfect results before. No scientific answer here just an observation that age possibly makes it more susceptible to moisture. My 2 cents.

Sent from my iPad using Penturners.org mobile app

bmachin

If you only mixed up enough for 2 blanks, it's really easy to be off on your proportions. It doesn't take much of an error. I would try mixing up another batch--much larger, say 100 grams of each side--and see what happens.

I'm inclined to discount age unless the resin is really old, or has been stored in the sun or at high temperature. Light and heat are the enemy. Even though Alumilite claims a shelf life of 6 months, I believe, it will last much longer with proper storage.

As far as moisture is concerned, generally free water will cause foaming. Moisture in an air line may or may not cause problems. I have no moisture control on my air lines and have never had any problems.

Just for what it's worth.

Bill

Top Bottom