Alumilite: can you use Clear part A with Clear Slow part B?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

retrojim

I just decided to try casting blanks and bought a 2lb batch of Alumilite from my local Woodcraft just to get started. I didn't notice until I got it home that the bag had Clear Part A and Clear Slow Part B. Do these work if mixed? What are the changes to pot life and demold time if so? My local Woodcraft is out of the 2 lb kits and won't have any in until next week at the earliest but they said they'd exchange my kit. They're also the only local place to buy it.

I'm really disappointed as I wanted to try casting this weekend 🙁

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

FGarbrecht

I don't know the specific answer but Alumilite is pretty picky in terms of mix ratios even when you have the correct parts to mix so I'd be very surprised if you didn't end up with a big mess on your hands. Just return it, otherwise you'll probably be wasting your time and money.

darrin1200

I wouldn't risk trying unless I heard directly from the manufacturer. Odds are that they won't be directly compatable, but if you open them, then woodcraft will not likely replace your kit. That will put you out the $60 and a negative casting experience.

Personally, I would return the kit to woodcraft for a refund and then order direct from Alumilite. They're normal price for the 2lb kit is $36, but with the additional Bash 15% discount it is well worth it.

retrojim

I sent an email to Alumilite service and they replied pretty quickly this morning. Turns out only the part A is different. Here's what they said:

"The B sides are the same in the Alumilite Clear Resin, it is the A side that determines the open time. So unfortunately you have the resin that is the 7 cure open time, not the 12 minute it works the same as far as clarity, hardness, performance, turning etc. It is only the open time that changes, not even the demold time changes. The 7 minute cure time for smaller applications is fine, if you are making large blocks that you are going to cut to make you blanks, the 12 minute is much better as the heat/exothermic reaction is by mass... the bigger the piece the more heat, with the 12 minute open time the heat has a longer time to dissipate, less chance of causing any cracks in the resin curing process."

Additionally, since I thought I was getting the 12 min open time they sending me a 2lb kit of slow free of charge and told me to use what I have and decide which I like better. Great customer service!

darrin1200

That's awesome Jim, it's good information to know. Its also great to hear of that level of customer service.

If your doing single colour pours, the 7 min open time is fine. I've even don't some two colour pours with little difficulty. That said, I prefer working with the Clear Slow.

Let us know your thoughts when you compare them.

retrojim

I still haven't gotten the resin Alumilite was going to send, but I have been using the "mistake" I got from Woodcraft which turned out to be the 7 min. pot time. I've made a few blanks. So far so good. Cuts real nice but the stringy shavings wrapping around the blank and mandrel get annoying.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Use a bathroom cleaning brush (not toilet) with stiff bristles to clear off the stringy shavings. Takes only a few seconds.

retrojim

Use a bathroom cleaning brush (not toilet) with stiff bristles to clear off the stringy shavings. Takes only a few seconds.
Great idea!

Also, looks like Alumilite forgot to send the Clear Slow originally but after I emailed them they sent it out Monday.

Top Bottom