Alumalite finishing?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Smokey S

I just recieved a couple of tubed flag alumalite blanks From Exotic Blanks. I will be turning them with carbide tools as I have done a few acrylic blanks so far. On the clear alumalite, does it need kind of finish other than HUT plastic polish? Thanks a million……..Smokey

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member

walshjp17

After sanding with Abranet and dry Micromesh sheets, I apply Stadium Pen Blanks' Magic Juice to all Alumilite Clear/Clear Slow blanks. The shine is absolutely perfection and must be seen in person to appreciate -- photos do not properly capture the finish.

goldendj

After sanding with Abranet and dry Micromesh sheets, I apply Stadium Pen Blanks' Magic Juice to all Alumilite Clear/Clear Slow blanks. The shine is absolutely perfection and must be seen in person to appreciate -- photos do not properly capture the finish.
Second the SPB polish ... love that stuff.

jttheclockman

I use the Hut polish on all my plastic blanks, including Alumilite. After the Hut, I spray on a coat of Plexus, then buff that with a micro fiber cloth. I think it adds a little extra shine. I generally buff it off right away, but another turner likes to wait until the next day before buffing it.

I have to say I have been turning pens for about 15 years now and been here close to that long. I am always amazed of the products we pen turners use to make our pens shine or just plain look good with finishes. Have to say this one is a new one Edgar. Put it on the list. We should make a list of all finishing products we use from top coating to polishes or enhancers. I bet it would be a couple pages long.:)

thewishman

Question: when using Stadium Pen Blanks' Magic Juice do you have to use all 6 steps/bottles or is there just 1 that works ?
They make the blank shinier as the go. Like sandpaper, the grits get finer as the numbers get higher. You can stop at any point, but the highest shine comes with using all of the bottles.

penicillin

I have to say I have been turning pens for about 15 years now and been here close to that long. I am always amazed of the products we pen turners use to make our pens shine or just plain look good with finishes. Have to say this one is a new one Edgar. Put it on the list. We should make a list of all finishing products we use from top coating to polishes or enhancers. I bet it would be a couple pages long.:)
Edgar mentioned Plexus. I have had it for too many years to remember, and replaced it multiple times. I store it in the same garage as the pen turning supplies and equipment.

I never tried Plexus on pens or anything to do with woodworking. Until now, the thought had never occurred to me. I bought Plexus to protect and polish my motorcycle windscreen and mirrors on trips. I have several other similar products like that - for cleaning and maintaining the plastic on motorcycles. Novus 1, 2, and 3 are also sold for motorcycles, and I was surprised to see Novus 1 (and 2?) at the woodworking store.

My points are:
  • There must be a wide range of finishing and polishing products that cross a wide range of industries and uses.
  • Many of those products are slight variations of each other and would be suitable for polishing pens.
    • ... but the marketing people for the products have never heard of penturning, so we don't know about them.
  • We may have those products at home, purchased for non-penturning uses.
  • If you try them, some might prove to be excellent pen finishing products.
    • If you're going to do that, I would suggest starting with automotive finish restoration and polishing products.
    • You can always try it on a pen blank turned to a cylinder, then take off the finish and reuse the pen blank.
  • I doubt that anyone will find something dramatically and spectacularly better than what we are using today.
    • ... mostly because I believe that they are essentially the same products in different packaging.
  • You may find that a product sold for one use that comes in large containers for a small price ...
    • ... but when the same product is branded and labeled for pen turners, it comes in tiny containers at a high price.

jttheclockman

Speaking of automotive polishes, has anyone tried any of these ceramic polishes that are suppose to really make cars shine with this technology. Maybe interesting to give a try on CA.

Old Goat

Old Goat - "CA with Brasso"? Interesting, would you mind describing the process? Thanks
Just like any other coating. After I micromesh the body down through the full set, I usually give it a quick hit of my own sanding paste, then put on the Brasso and let it sit (just like with other polishes) until dry. Then I give it a high speed buffing and it is mirror shiny. I was talking with a friend who repairs and collects watches/clocks and found out they use it a lot for the faces along with the lenses, including acrylics. They already have it around for other items and it gives it a protection from oils/fingerprints as well as the shine so I thought I'd give it a try and voila. I'm sure everyone has their own, just mine.

wimkluck

Speaking of automotive polishes, has anyone tried any of these ceramic polishes that are suppose to really make cars shine with this technology. Maybe interesting to give a try on CA.
I use the carpolish from Festool. When festo started selling these products we got samples in small bottles. I still have a few bottles. Only the p 6000 disappeared. I asked a festool salesman and I got a used bottle. The samples are 100 ml and do not excit anymore. You can buy them in 0.5
This is the result. Y
detailebonietpenklein.jpg
ou can buy those bottles in 0.5 liter big for polishing pens.

Smokey S

I ended up going with JonU's path with a CA finish followed up polishing with Hut. i sure like the way the clear alumalite turned, although what a mess and a chore to clean up afterwards. It was like static had it stuck to everything in came in contact with, even me!
Old Goat, I do plan on checking with my wife, she probably has some Brasso. Sounds interesting to try.
Thanks for all the feedback, this is such a great learning site with all willing to share……….S

Top Bottom