Alumalite clear slow or Epoxy for casting pine cones

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Larryreitz

I know this has probably been discussed before, but my quick search came up empty. I have some tiny pine cones from Exotic Blanks that I plan on casting with a single color resin and am wondering if those who have done it before would recommend Alumilite clear slow or Epoxy to minimize air bubbles. If epoxy is the choice I think I would still keep it under pressure at least overnight. Any other considerations or tricks that I should consider?
Larry

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KMCloonan

I have cast Alder cones successfully. First step is to ensure the cones are very dry. Even if they feel dry, you should put them in an oven at about 200F for an hour, just to be safe. Do this right before you want to cast them.

Second step is to fill the mold cavity with the cones. Try to make sure there are not hidden pockets with no cones. I then cut a piece of plastic mesh (1/4" squares) and lay it across the mold. I affix the mesh with rubber bands. The mesh is needed to keep the cones from floating to the top of the resin.

I then mix the alumilite clear slow resin with a colored dye. I had decent success pouring the resin earlier rather than when it has started to thicken. The less viscous resin flows well through the mesh, and surrounds the cones well.

I then put the filled mold in the pressure pot for 4 hours. I use about 145PSI.

KenB259

I have cast Alder cones successfully. First step is to ensure the cones are very dry. Even if they feel dry, you should put them in an oven at about 200F for an hour, just to be safe. Do this right before you want to cast them.

Second step is to fill the mold cavity with the cones. Try to make sure there are not hidden pockets with no cones. I then cut a piece of plastic mesh (1/4" squares) and lay it across the mold. I affix the mesh with rubber bands. The mesh is needed to keep the cones from floating to the top of the resin.

I then mix the alumilite clear slow resin with a colored dye. I had decent success pouring the resin earlier rather than when it has started to thicken. The less viscous resin flows well through the mesh, and surrounds the cones well.

Wow, 145 PSI!!,, for real?

Jim Campbell

I would think they meant 45 PSI. Very few folks would have a pressure pot capable of handling 145 PSI.

I generally use 45-50 PSI for all of the casting I do.

With small cones in large quantities epoxy may be a better option to start with if you do not have a lot of experience casting them. Having more time to cast will benefit if if your concerned with time limitations from Alumilite.

JohnU

Kevin covered how to do it so my only add would be …. Epoxy will adhere a little better but it will take 5-7 days to cure enough to turn it. It will give you a longer working time and also be harder to get out of the mold. If your using one color you don't need a lot of working time. Urethane Clear or Clear Slow will work just as well, with less pressure pot time and you can turn it a day later. You will finish them both the same so it all comes down to how long you want to wait to use the blanks. I prefer Urethane and cast all of my dried objects with Clear or Clear Slow. I think it turns smother with less chip or blow outs.

Larryreitz

Thanks, Kevin. This is exactly what I was looking for.

Larryreitz

Kevin covered how to do it so my only add would be …. Epoxy will adhere a little better but it will take 5-7 days to cure enough to turn it. It will give you a longer working time and also be harder to get out of the mold. If your using one color you don't need a lot of working time. Urethane Clear or Clear Slow will work just as well, with less pressure pot time and you can turn it a day later. You will finish them both the same so it all comes down to how long you want to wait to use the blanks. I prefer Urethane and cast all of my dried objects with Clear or Clear Slow. I think it turns smother with less chip or blow outs.
Thanks, John. Exactly what I was looking for.

Top Bottom