Alternative materials

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

wood-of-1kind

There have been some very nice pen cactus cast resin blanks of late. I don't need to state the obvious, that it's a great 'alternative' material. Altough I like cactus skeletons, I'm not enamored by the fact that it must get a thorough cleaning and proper preparation to get it 'right'. Plus, cactus does not grow well in Canada, go figure. Now icicles and tundra that's a different matter. I digress here.I'd like some input from those experienced casters of resins as to whether or not there'd be much chance for success with the following alternative corrugated materials. They are formally called 'paint arrestors' and are basically prefilters(paper) used in spray paint booths. I know 'nothin' bout casting so don't laugh too hard at my proposal if it's just too silly[:eek:)] The design/pattern is of interest and reminds me of the cactus skeletal pattern. Don't know how well they would work[?] Any comments are always welcomed.
-Peter-
2006829165937_MVC-001S.jpg

20068291708_MVC-002S.jpg

200682917034_MVC-003S.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

alamocdc

Peter, the only way to know if it would work is to try. If you don't want to, send some to me and I'll give it a go. I don't mind wasting a few ounces of resin.

wood-of-1kind

Originally posted by alamocdc
<br />Peter, the only way to know if it would work is to try. If you don't want to, send some to me and I'll give it a go. I don't mind wasting a few ounces of resin.

Thanks Billy, I may take you up on your offer. I'm having a difficult time finding a local source for PR. Regardless of what I'll do, I'll gladly send you some material to try if you care to 'cast' your luck. E-mail me offline with your addy if you would like some.

Regards,
-Peter-

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Try wrapping it around a tube like Alamo's recently posted denim pen.Use CA.
If it is an organic material you should be able to turn it once it is cured.

wood-of-1kind

Originally posted by Geo in Winnipeg
<br />It sounds interesting Peter. Could you maybe dye them? Please let us know, preferably with pics, of the outcome.

Spray painting with a colour of choice would not be a problem. MY lack of casting experience and lack of resin is what is holding me back from trying.

-Peter-

wood-of-1kind

Originally posted by cteaglesc
<br />Try wrapping it around a tube like Alamo's recently posted denim pen.Use CA.
If it is an organic material you should be able to turn it once it is cured.

Eagle, I was thinking more along the line of casting and pouring resin on the corrugated filters. If I wrap around a brass tube and CA, the compression of the material(paper) will destroy the 'pattern' and will render it useless IMO. Your ouside the box thinking may not be in tune with mine if I understand your proposal correctly.
-Peter-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom