Alternative Ivory

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from SullivantShapes

Black Ti and Rhodium Aero twist with Alternative Ivory.
PENS 7SEP2020-6.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
That is a great looking pen! But the material is not alternative ivory--a name in use for over 20 years from a manufacturer in Europe.
Alternative ivory has no real noticeable "grain". The material you show is either casein or "alternative casein"-available at ExoticBlanks and a few sources in Europe.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
If it's not alternative ivory, it's at least imitation ivory :D
A PITA to turn actually, nicely done Kevin!
Not sure where Kevin got his, I get these blanks from Vermontfreehand.
It was not my intention to be argumentative, sorry if it sounded that way.
There are several new "imitation ivory" products coming out, so I expect there will be a good deal of confusion. Many people here can tell you about my "cat-alog" in the 2007 time frame--it included a full line of "alternative" gem products, including alternative Ivory, which is still being produced by the same European factory. I don't know if they have the product trademarked, but in any event if you buy it from us, it will not look like the pen above (alternate casein will). Large shipment is on the ocean, so much of this is currently out of stock.

It was not my intention to be argumentative, sorry if it sounded that way.
There are several new "imitation ivory" products coming out, so I expect there will be a good deal of confusion. Many people here can tell you about my "cat-alog" in the 2007 time frame--it included a full line of "alternative" gem products, including alternative Ivory, which is still being produced by the same European factory. I don't know if they have the product trademarked, but in any event if you buy it from us, it will not look like the pen above (alternate casein will). Large shipment is on the ocean, so much of this is currently out of stock.

I don't know, it seems like alternative casein looks manufactured with equal spacing and this imitation ivory is more organic. In either case it is not casein and is not marketed as alt casein. It is also not from Europe or Exotic Blanks.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Are you looking for a pic of the end grain?
Exactly. Again, just curious. Beautiful pen, but It is of interest if it is alternate Casin or alternate Ivory. I do keep in mind that labels are on a "rare" occasion... "close" to being accurate. ;) As future buyers, we like to have some assurance of the material.

A recent threads discussed "Bloodwood," and I agree with all the comments that there are a wide variety, and many examples of Rosewoods, Holy Land Olive, etc, and cast pens with sand from restricted military sites beg the question of authenticity 🤔🤔. Your pen is superb and as I mentioned above, I hope to play with similar looking material.

An end grain pickie would be interesting, but not necessarily conclusive.

Be well.

Exactly. Again, just curious. Beautiful pen, but It is of interest if it is alternate Casin or alternate Ivory. I do keep in mind that labels are on a "rare" occasion... "close" to being accurate. ;) As future buyers, we like to have some assurance of the material.

A recent threads discussed "Bloodwood," and I agree with all the comments that there are a wide variety, and many examples of Rosewoods, Holy Land Olive, etc, and cast pens with sand from restricted military sites beg the question of authenticity 🤔🤔. Your pen is superb and as I mentioned above, I hope to play with similar looking material.

An end grain pickie would be interesting, but not necessarily conclusive.

Be well.

Not the best picture but here is a cross section.

cross section-1.jpg

Top Bottom