Aloha from Hawaii

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

oneula

Finally got a mini lathe and am enjoying the wonders of turning.
I can't believe how much easier it is than hand grinding out my crafts with a bench top sander.
So many options with this stuff my mind is swirling
I love pens
I'm glad I can make my own now..

here's some of my past crafts that I've ground out mostly by hand
with drills and bend sanders
this is all therapy as I'm a true amateur and give away most of my creations for smiles.

first attempts at pen foolery
2010-02-01_04_16_52.jpg

bookmarks.jpg

othercrafts.jpg

letteropeners.jpg

auw.jpg

download.jpg

IMG00262.jpg

IMG00270.jpg

IMG00268.jpg

IMG00269.jpg

IMG00265.jpg

IMG00271.jpg

IMG00211.jpg

IMG00008-1.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DotDoc

Welcome to the madness...lov your work. Having spent many years on the island I know where you live. Stay in touch. GREAT WORK

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
Welcome. You've got quite an eclectic bit of work there. Very nice, too.
Below are links to two threads/articles that have lots of information on pen turning. The first one is a very basic overview of the many aspects of getting into turning pens.
http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=42446

The second link has postings by different pen turners and what they wish they had known earlier:
http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=46654

Here is another link - a PDF on the acronyms used here. I am sure you know many but this will help with those you don't.

http://content.penturners.org/articl...9/Acronyms.pdf

oneula

The most important missing part

Thanks everyone
Since February I've actually turned about 50 or more mostly the single body twist type which I've mostly given away as gifts.

Just starting to get into the larger fancier fountain pen multibody types but am finding that for daily use when people pick my pens they seems to gravitate toward the smaller pens that are more "pocketable"

Tried my hand at some of the stabilized multi colored woods, the stone composites and now some of these hand made exotic polys.

And what I found that seems to be left out of most pen turning discussions, is that the most important tool a pen turner needs a good bench grinder or tool sharpener. Because sharp tools are more important than anything else on an ongoing basis.

The funny part is there doesn't seem to be as much discussion about this topic than there is about anything else.

Tool sharpening is both as expensive and an art form in it self as is the design and turning function of pen making. I'd say 50% of the cost and effort is related to keep your tools razor sharp.

That's the lesson I've learned so far in my first month.

Top Bottom