Aloha from Hawaii

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tankerbarr

Aloha!

I am in the Army currently stationed in Hawaii. I have loved woodworking ever since my first wood shop class in high school (quite a while ago) I had done some wood turning then and loved it. I had gotten away from it for a while until I was working on a project with my father in law. I just recently picked up pen turning though. I didn't know it was such a thing until I was looking through youtube videos for bowl making and they came up with pen videos as suggestions. Since I started its almost become an obsession (you can ask my wife, she says its all I talk about). I look forward to learning and passing on knowledge (as I acquire it)

Michael Barr

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Skie_M

Heya, welcome to Pen Turner's Anonymous .... (click link in my sig)

So .... how does a groundpounder like you end up on one of the most beautiful islands in the world?

builtbybill

Welcome from North Cackalacky. Must be nice having a lathe in Hawaii, I was there for 4 years and left ALL of my tools in storage on the mainland. Would have been great having the lathe there, you can always find local craftsmen that are selling their "scraps", of local woods, really cheap these make great pen blanks.

Bill

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Aloha & welcome from Texas.

I just returned from 2 weeks in your neck of the woods. Unfortunately, I spent most of my time inside the tunnels of the Red Hill Fuel Storage Facility, so I didn't have time to do any serious wood hunting. I did manage to pick up a few sticks from the Mahogany trees on Kalakaua Ave and a few from some trees on a North Shore beach (I'm still trying to identify those).

I expect to make another trip in a couple of months & should have more free time to collect some wood then.

Top Bottom