Almost Scraped This

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Kenny Durrant

Kenny Durrant

I was making this for my son and to try a few new things. This is an EDC kit. I know nothing about the blank which is one of the reasons I considered trashing it. A friend gave me the blank saying it was fire engine red. It was also a cut off from a block because it had a rounded edge. I drilled the blank and painted the hole and the tube. As I turned the blank it never darkened up and I saw streaks through out. I thought the hole in the blank was so rough it trapped air and hollow spots were showing through. Then when I engraved it the engraving was very shallow. That's where I almost tossed it. Then I thought I'd go ahead and try to finish it in case there were more learning curves I needed to know. I was quite surprised when the filling process went so smooth. So I put it back on the lathe and polished it out to see the streaks were part of the blank. No where near what I thought it would look like. After polishing I thought it wasn't too bad. I think the next time I'll paint the tube and tube cast a color blank. That's pretty much the way it went. Questions and Comments Welcome. Thanks

Attachments

• 47798F6A-B137-4DD3-B78D-EB0D7531B75D.jpeg
    47798F6A-B137-4DD3-B78D-EB0D7531B75D.jpeg
    431.1 KB · Views: 153
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Kenny Durrant

Thanks for the compliments. My original thought was it had too many negatives as I was working on it. I'm glad I continued on as it turned out pretty much how I wanted it to. I wish the blank was a little darker red but still turned out ok.

Top Bottom