Almost finished my first pen with one hand

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bitshird

I wasn't thinking too clearly I didn't want to have to use CA on the pen only being able to really use one hand, so I grabbed a home brew that I'd made way before the accident, and had no trouble drilling it on my Jet, cutting the blank in half puckered 3 or 4 oriffices but got the tubes glued (none on the bandages) I was warned by SWMBO :tongue:. got the blank turned and sanded to 400, the realized this was a blank with rotini pasta and it had to be sealed with CA, So my lathe is turning at 1350 and I cant change the belt speed yet, I covered the ways and compound, was able to hold a bottle of thin CA I had to open the tip since I can't quite squeeze it and dripped two coats on, waited and dripped two more coats of medium CA, I'll let them dry tonight, and finish sanding them and buffing them(might prove harder than I think). The real trick will be assembly trying to hold stuff straight in my press. Hurry oh chariots of the Sun King that I may gaze upon the morrow

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bitshird

Remind me not to get into a turning contest with you. I don't think I could turn anything with one hand tied behind me. :cool:

Yeh Right It wasn't tied behind me it's just in this stupid mid evil device, actually I cheated and undid the rubber bands, but holding the bottle of CA was a real challenge, I can't quite grip any thing yet.
And the day you can't turn circles around me, well let your pens speak for themselves they have a commanding voice.
besides I cheated I used a Metal lathe, my German Shepherd could turn a pen on a metal lathe :eek:

Last edited:

Skye

I'n trying to back track here. Apparently you joined while I was on break, so I missed how you mangled the dog doo out of your hand. How exactly did this go down?

bitshird

I'n trying to back track here. Apparently you joined while I was on break, so I missed how you mangled the dog doo out of your hand. How exactly did this go down?

Sky, I cut off 1/2 inch of my left index finger and severed the tensor tendon and bone between the first and second joint of the left middle finger, and a minor laceration on the left ring finger, all this while making a pen for my Doctor.
I am making a sled for my table saw before I do any thing else with it. There were a number of things that contributed.
#1 I had already cut the log into 1 in boards, so I should have lowered the blade to just enough to cut through, but it was still at full 3 inch height, #2 I should have had the safety guard in place, (thats kind of a stretch but) #3, I really shouldn't have been holding the cut off end of the wood, but it started to chatter and I didn't want to mess up the blanks, at the time the saw kicked back, my left hand was at least 8 inches past the blade.
I guess since I was getting close to the end, I started pulling it through, it jumped my push stick and I didn't realize what happened until I felt the pain, I also got a nice bruise next to a very important area regarding my gender.
I don't care how long you've been using table saws,lathes, milling machines, drill presses any machinery, DON'T GET COMPLACENT you will get hurt.

workinforwood

Been in that same boat myself, although I didn't remove any fingers, I certainly have run the saw over them to reveal bones. Cutting a thin blank, not using one of my 50 push sticks that I already have...I pushed on the thin piece that was to the outside of the blade with my left hand because I didn't want a little nerdly piece left on the top back corner, well I pushed it up, it contacted the back of the blade which lifted the scrap and my hand into and over the blade. Didn't hurt right away, but when I injure myself I feel nauseous. I still can see all the blood drips on my cement as I ran around the shop turning off equipment..somehow I missed shutting off the bandsaw and it ran for who knows how long causing my $50 blade to break...that was the most upsetting part! I already do, by habit stand off to the left of the blade. That saw can really launch a piece of wood, especially at 3hp.

Jarheaded

We really need to start filming all this stuff, it will be very educational for some, not to mention funny as hell to watch for the rest.
Ken, I'm glad to hear that you are back up and trying instead of sitting there feeling sorry for yourself. It may be a tough road to recovery, but you seem to be on the right track. Keep going(carefully).

M

monkeynutz

Look on the bright side, Ken... If you do the CA with only one hand, you'll only be able to glue half your fingers together... :biggrin:

shull

I can only add my own congratulations on your recovery rate. I had a similar accident several years ago (on the right hand) while cutting cedar lining material to line a chest for my lovely bride. It took several months before I could even grasp a pen much less a turning tool.

Your pen is beautiful...can't even see the pink tint :)

Top Bottom