All the way from Turkey

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from robutacion

robutacion

Hi peoples,

This is another one of the pieces that I done recently, this one to salvage some resin that I had left over from one of mu casting batches. I normally have a couple of single pen Resifill molds ready but this time I forgot so, I grabbed my normal spray can top, and pour the resin into it.

I wanted to put/mix something with that resin to make another pendant for the wife but I just could thing of anything that I knew I could grab in a hurry so, I started to look around my working area and spotted a bag that came with a new washing machine I bought to replace my old one.

This was a machine bough locally but was made in Turkey, of all places and according to the shop owner, a great machine and not too expensive so, when I got home I saw a bag about 1kg in weight that that said "desiccant bag" so I knew that was full of some sort of crystals to prevent moisture to built up inside the stainless drum.

I've see a few different types of products used for this purpose but never this one, as when I open the bag, I could swear that was fine crashed gravel...!:eek:

Anyway, I grab the bag, open a hole on the bag's corner and pour a bit of that stuff into the resin, mixing it with a ice-cream stick. I stir and stir that, waiting for it to start gelling as I didn't want the "stuff" to settle all in the bottom of the container so, stir for a long time and I was starting to believe that, whatever that stuff was made of, wasn't letting the resin to set so, I continue stirring and looked for the clock behind me to have a look at the time as I felt is was starting to get late and I had enough of stirring when all of a certain, and in those 3 seconds that took me to turn my head around to see the time/clock, I felt a lot of heat on my left hand (holding the can plastic top/lid) and my right hand grabbing on to the ice-cream stick stopped on its tracks, by the time I turn my head around to look at what was going on, I found my hand still holding the stick but the damn think was stuck solid in the middle of the can lid, with most of that white stuff, attached to it in a big blob...!:eek::mad:

I was amazed of you fast went from liquid (honey consistency) to rock solid, and off course, I had the ice-cream stuck in the middle of my cast...!:mad:

I actually thought that was funny, a few minutes later but no so much when it happened...!

Well, that thing wasn't going to be good as a pendant, the wood stick didn't look that good in the mix so, I decided to play the game and make something out of it, that would be still "presentable". I was lucky that I had just enough resin thickness to hollow the wood stick out and come up with....! I don't know....! a pin holder...???:confused::biggrin::biggrin: (2 1/2" round x 1" tall).

Now, how said that these moisture eating crystal/material, couldn't be used for casting...??? I'm going to make a few pen blanks out of this stuff, now that I know what will happen...!:wink::biggrin:

Cheers
George

Attachments

• 030.JPG
    030.JPG
    58.3 KB · Views: 173
  • 029.JPG
    029.JPG
    69.7 KB · Views: 191
  • 032.JPG
    032.JPG
    72.7 KB · Views: 192
  • 037.JPG
    037.JPG
    60.5 KB · Views: 210
  • 034.JPG
    034.JPG
    70.6 KB · Views: 201
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Russknan

George, your ingenuity never ceases to amaze - or inspire - me! Who else but you would come up with that? Russ

Top Bottom