Alcohol screwed up my finish

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Some years ago I cleaned off this door handle with an alcohol that was too high in % and now I've got this white stain to show for my tomfoolery.

How do I go about correcting this? I'm not sure what the original finish is on the door, but I imagine I need to scuff it up with maybe a yellow green sponge scrubber then do a spray (can) finish on top...aiming for less than a high polish sheen.

Any ideas on correcting this mistake or what spray finish I should use?

Thanks.

Attachments

• door streak.JPG
    door streak.JPG
    257.6 KB · Views: 86
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BULLWINKLE

Egnald's suggestion is your safest bet. Oil won't make things worse. Another thought I had, if oil don't work is to try Olde English polish. It has a bit of stain mixed in it. Find the color that best matches. If they don't have a close color go lighter and build up coats until you get close. I'd apply it over a larger area than the flaw to blend it in. It's designed to cover scratches in furniture.

Seer

They make a Ring remover at Home Depot and Lowes you can use to get the ring out. I use it on tables all the time.

Woodchipper

Cooking oil could turn rancid and be sticky in time. Lemon oil will work. I use it on a big oak home entertainment center.

Top Bottom