Airfilters

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gpgsm

I need a airfilter, what is the best?
I know three brands: JET, Asminster, Microclene. Do you use it?
Give me some advice, please?
Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jthompson1995

I go cheap and use a 20x20 box fan with a 20x20 furnace air filter taped to the inflow side. I've seen performance tests and this setup works better than most commercial air cleaners and costs just a fraction of what they do.

workinforwood

You know what Jason is suggesting is a pretty good idea. It's even better if you get some cheap batting and place that in front of the filter. Build a frame for the batting to be put into. The batting will catch most of the larger debris, then you take the frame and batting outside and blow it out. This way you don't have to change the actual filter too often. I have a ceiling mounted Jet, I think it's something like 18x24. With the filter installed, basically all stock the way it's supposed to be run, the filter is completely clogged in just a day or two. It's just not big enough for the shop. It's amazing how much dust is in the shop that you don't even see, and I do use dust collection on most of my tools. I have been meaning to build a frame for some batting to put in front of that thing, because changing a filter every day or two of shop time is expensive over time. This is why at the moment I don't run it too often.

stolicky

I do the box fan occasionally, but I actually built my own air cleaner.

With a relatively inexpensive fan or squirrel cage blower, and some plywood, you can build your own using standard size filters they sell for furnaces. I'm not sure what your options are in Italy as to materials, but if you have some time and can glue/screw/nail some plywood together, its a much cheaper way to go.

PTJeff

Jason,
I did the box fan as well I wanted a bit more air turnover so I upgraded to an attic exaust fan mounted in a 2 x 2 plywood box and I put 2 furnace filters. One blue one for big stuff and the next is the finer for dust.

Jeffrey

DurocShark

I go cheap and use a 20x20 box fan with a 20x20 furnace air filter taped to the inflow side. I've seen performance tests and this setup works better than most commercial air cleaners and costs just a fraction of what they do.

I do too. I also use it to direct filtered air across a freshly finished piece to keep dust from settling on it.

gpgsm

Thanks everybody for your advice.
Do you know if the filters are electrostatic (so I can use any kind of fun) or if they need a particular capacity to work in the properly way?

Regards

Even with the cyclone at the lathe, and saw there is still dust all over my shop, I made a box fan filter as well, and it amazes me what it pulls out of the air. I have 2 others running in the house for regular house airborne dust.

Next time I have $$ to spend on a hardware build I will probably get another attic fan and multispeed controller, and build a 20" box for a prefilter, and a HEPA filter.

gpgsm

I made out a shopping list and I need to spend about 110 euros, for the engine and the material. So I decided to buy a Jet AFS-500 at a price of 187 euros including shipping costs.

Thanks to everybody.

Last edited:
Top Bottom