Airbrushing Enduro

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

ldimick

OK. I have lost the instructions that came with my Enduro. (Truth is I probably never read them anyway[B)])

Can I airbrush the Enduro? If so, how much and with what should I thin it down?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wayneis

Lynn, Actuall Endur is made to be sprayed so you should be able to do it. The maker has a product for thinning I believe, I remember when I first started looking at Enduro their site gave good info on spraying it so you may check there.

Wayne

ldimick

Thanks, I'll check it out.

Hmmm... Westminster to San Clemente is about 35 miles down the 405. Or I could go all the way down Pacific Coast Highway to see if they'll visit with me.[8D] Tough choice. Play or Work.[:(]

ldimick

From their web site:

Application Method:
Enduro "Poly" is formulated for spraying. Type of sprayer, in order of preference: H.V.L.P. both turbine and conversion (CAS) H.V.L.P., conventional compressed air, air assisted airless and airless. "Poly" can be brushed if Enduro Modifier is added.

Seems to me that if I thought about this questin for more than 5 seconds before posting it I would have had my own answer - it is a WATER based poly. [:p]

Mikey

I'm so glad I saw this post because I tried the Viva paper towel recipe on some pens and stoppers and was completely unhappy as the way the stuff went on. It dries so fast, there is really no way to keep from getting at least some lines that need to be sanded. Plus, it is tough to get into the crevaces that one creates when making stoppers. I even told my wife this morning after I got in from the shop that I'm going to have to start airbrushing the finish on. As a plus though, I used to be pretty good with an airbrush, and the finish should come out nice and thick, with only minimal sanding/polishing at the highest grits needed.[8D]

wayneis

Did you think that everyone mastered that the first try? I think not, speaking for my self it took me a while but I can now lay down a line of Enduro on a pen blank that is so smooth that I don't have to sand out if I don't care to. Most of the time I am only buffing out the finish to get a higher gloss. You are indeed right about stoppers and even pen blanks that have grooves and such cut into them. The best way to go would be spraying but for most of my pens that I make I'll stick to my method because I'm completely happy.

Wayne

Mikey

No, I didn't think I should have mastered it on the first try, but this stuff is one of the fastest drying products I have ever seen. CA doesn't even dry as fast (without the accellerator)

When I got home last night, I finished the two blanks I has put the Enduro on in the morning. They both came out great, but I still need to buff somehow for a really high polish. (one was a Wallstreet pencil that when I tried to bend the clip up for clearance, it snapped in half [:(!] )

After, I chucked two new blanks on the lathe, turned, then applied a very heavy coat of sanding sealer. Aside from a few very small air bubbles, it finished almost perfectly smooth. I found that I wasn't applying enough at once to the pen. It turns out that if I made sure the whole thing looked milky white when I applied quickly, it soon dried nice and smooth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom