Airbrush for finishing

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rickycan

Hi!
I ask myself if anyone has used an airbrush to spray poliuretane laquer for finishig pens.I have had some problems finishing ebony pens with CA, that's the reason of my question.
Ricardo
Canary Islands-Spain

I use a paasche air brush to apply the latest generation of water born polyurethane on all my wood pens. The #5 needle set and 40 lbs. pressure, applied on lathe at slow speed works great with uncut material. The poly surface dries too quick to get a good finish so I add 5% retarder. With retarder recoating can be done every 15 to 20 minutes. These finishes are high solid content and build quickly. I usually shoot 3 quick coats, allow to cure over night, sand and shoot 3 more coats. The largest drawback is the curing time. I allow at least 3 days curing before the final buffing, the longer the better as a harder film buffs to a higher sheen.
The colour is great, no discolouration what so ever. These new finishes do not have the bluish hue that the earlier products had. For oily woods like rosewood I seal with Super Blond Shellac before spraying the poly.

Top Bottom