Air locks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jon Nutting

To my friends from up north where this cold weather insanity is common. Are plumbing air locks more frequent in cold weather? I've been dealing with them this week for the first time ever which just happens to coincide with the coldest weather we've had in Dallas in my lifetime.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PatrickR

To my friends from up north where this cold weather insanity is common. Are plumbing air locks more frequent in cold weather? I've been dealing with them this week for the first time ever which just happens to coincide with the coldest weather we've had in Dallas in my lifetime.

Honestly I've never heard of an air lock in water lines. Are you sure they aren't freezing?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

henry1164

Air locks are sometimes a result of frozen pipes. One of the "old-tyme" tricks in the North when the temp is cold and there are places in the house that tend to be less warmed by the inside heat is to let a faucet (or facuets) trickle - a drop or two every second - to keep the water moving in the pipes. Another trick is to open the doors on the bathroom/kitchen cabinets where the pipes are to allow room air to more easily get to the pipes. Sorry to hear about the freak cold snap and I hope it warms quickly. Maybe these tips will helps.

1080Wayne

Moisture in the air flowing up the plumbing vent stacks will freeze on exit , build up , and can interfere with toilet flushing . Have had to remove them on occasion after a very long cold spell , but that is in my arid climate . Yours should build up much faster . Also have had a couple of ice balls release from my fireplace chimney in the last two weeks .

Buckmark13

I'm not sure about air locks, but pay close attention to pipes in exterior walls. Exterior hose bibs hopefully have a shutoff and draining them will prevent burst pipes. The problems of frozen pipes will present themselves just about the time you think the cold spell is over. That's when the frozen / burst pipes thaw and the leaks start. Check your rooms that you don't frequent, such as a basement, often during the cold snap and after it warms up as well.

Opening cabinet doors where plumbing exists is a huge help.

Jon Nutting

Thanks guys, I'm doing pretty much all the suggestions here so thats good. I did have two frozen pipes in exterior walls but was able to thaw those pretty fast. The air being trapped threw me for a loop...I was able to resolve it but continue to have air burping out of the hot water line. I'm dripping every single fixture in the house to keep things from freezing.

SteveG

...I'm dripping every single fixture in the house to keep things from freezing.
Better safe than sorry. Compare to dealing with broken pipes and all that involves. This is Not wasting water! Still, too bad you cannot put the water back in the pipe when it is again 50*+ outside. 🤔

Joebobber

Im in North Dakota. We have had a few pipes freeze. That foam pool noodle stuff works great. If you thaw them out- use a blow dryer. I doubt they will freeze up hard but when they unthaw you may have issues from older pipes bursting or the more common leaky faucet. That cold weather really plays heck on the rubber O rings in the faucet handles. A slow drip helps unless the drain freezes... i have a shower that the drain freezes up whenever we hit -25. Good luck and make sure you check your pipes after they thaw. Even 1 suspect solder joint can make a leaky mess and wreck alot of stuff.

Jon Nutting

Im in North Dakota. We have had a few pipes freeze. That foam pool noodle stuff works great. If you thaw them out- use a blow dryer. I doubt they will freeze up hard but when they unthaw you may have issues from older pipes bursting or the more common leaky faucet. That cold weather really plays heck on the rubber O rings in the faucet handles. A slow drip helps unless the drain freezes... i have a shower that the drain freezes up whenever we hit -25. Good luck and make sure you check your pipes after they thaw. Even 1 suspect solder joint can make a leaky mess and wreck alot of stuff.
I dont envy you Joe! Thanks for the info

Top Bottom