Air Compressor upgrade gloat!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
My mom owns an industrial business park and one of our tenants moved out. That had a nice compressor that they were planning to take with them but I talked with the manager and told him it would cost them a lot of money to uninstall it and move it! He agreed and decided they would offer it to the employees first to see if anyone wanted to buy it. Said they would offer it for $400 and if no one wanted it, I could buy it. I told him I would take it and to let me know. I also reminded him that his lease was up and they would need to get it taken out and moved before they had a chance to wait for the employees to respond. He called me a back about an hour later and decided it was not worth messing with offering to the employees and that I could have it for $400 if I wanted it. Of course I jumped on it and am now the new owner!

It is an Ingersoll Rand 60 gallon 5 hp (true 5 hp, 22 amp, not over stated like most) 2 stage industrial compressor. They bought it new from Grainger so it has a better motor on it than the ones that come from the discount stores. It normally retails for $1,682 and is like brand new! Like a dummy, I tried to wrangle it around from its old location by myself by "walking" towards the truck and dropped the damn thing! Fortunately, all it did was damage the pressure switch so I have a new one on order. It was a REAL bear standing it back up by myself too! The thing weighs 400#+ but I managed somehow. I then removed the pump and motor so I could lay the tank down in the truck and got it all loaded and headed to the shop. Of course my back suffered significantly!

I had a 60 gallon (you can see it in the background) but it was single stage 5 hp (15 AMP so not true 5hp). It was a good compressor but this is a huge upgrade in quality and performance over the old one. I am tickled to get it for $400!

Anyone in Central Texas interested in my old compressor at a good price? :)

attachment.php

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 616
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Bob Wemm

Hey Curtis, you didn't have a good win there, you stole it from him. Good on you, don't often have luck like that. Of course it wouldn't have happened at all if you didn't PERSUADE him.

Bob.

BradG

Fantastic toy! very well done. but give yourself a slap for dropping it lol... patience is a virtue, though id have most probably of done the same myself trying to get it back to my shop :biggrin:

76winger

Wish I was closer to you. My 40 year old portable 2hp/30gallon still clunks along, but is on the list of needed upgrades sometime in the next couple of years.

The Penguin

Hey Monty - I need to go up to see Curtis anyway...perhaps I can pick it up for you and bring it back to Houston. I was thinking of going 3/23 or 3/30

PTsideshow

I have the 80 gallon version, love it since the fall I have been filling assorted car/truck tires with it and it has only come on once. The system is tight and holds pressure well. I love mine and not sorry about buying it.
:clown:

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Score! Is that a 5N5, or a T30 (or some other model I'm not familiar with)?

Regards,
Eric

It is a 2430 which uses a type 30 two stage pump. It originally came from Grainger so the motor is a Century/AO Smith 1.15 service factor true 5 hp motor which is much better than the GE motors that come on the ones from the big box stores. The GE motors had problems with them catching on fire!

PenMan1

Nice score!!!! We ran an entire 5 bay boat service shop with one just like it. Never a single hiccup! Only problem is we ended up putting it outside under a "leanto" roof. OSHA's idea, not ours.

According to OSHA, supplying air to ten mechanics with one compressor, exceeded the Government's noise limits. We had really never noticed the compressor sounds.

PenMan1

We could actually have 2 fiberglass guys using high speed fiberglass sanders (high speed, big air demand) at the same time and still have plenty of air for everyone else. The two-stage Century (T30) motor is bad to the bone!

Last edited:

Haynie

Don't sell that other one. Daisy chain it as another storage tank. This will totally reduce the run time and how often the pump turns on. This is what we did for the repair shop works like a charm. Now that it is just me and my stuff I have yet to have it turn on more than twice a day when I am running the air tools heavily. We have a back up pump and tank that I have contemplated putting on as another storage tank because some jackwagon ex manager stole parts off it but as you noticed moving these things is not easy.

PenMan1

Terrific idea, Mark! But do you REALLY think one Texas with 2 or 3 100PSI pressure pots is gonna NEED the kind of air we needed in the fiberglass boat business? :)

If he can sell the old one for $500, he gets to pay himself $100 for dropping it :)

Top Bottom