Aging Warnings

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leehljp

Member Liaison
If you don't mind, after reading this, list some ordinary things (accidents) that are overlooked that can help healthy aging people to avoid.

I was reminded this morning of a health warning I was given about 3 years ago that I so often forget. Rick Terrell posted the following thread. https://www.penturners.org/threads/...ll-be-closed-for-a-while.178052/#post-2189607

While hopeful and prayerfully he fully recovers, "falls" (and specific major broken bones) often results in immediate decline in health and death months later.

PUT YOUR PANTS ON OVER BOTH LEGS WHILE SITTING DOWN:

Three years ago, a farmer friend in his mid 80's passed away. He was an healthy active retired farmer, but helped his two sons on the farm, rode his horse at least weekly and still had an active pilot's license. One day he fell and broke his hip. His health never returned and nearly a year later he passed away. I co-officiated in his funeral.

I have known of several healthy elderly people who died within months to a year after breaking a major bone in their body. My friend said this to me: "I got up in the morning and put my pants on just like I had been doing for 80 years., But, I tripped as I was putting my second leg in. I fell and broke my hip." He died within 8 months of the fall.
One of his sons (who used to be my neighbor) told me, in his presence, "I told dad, he need to learn to put his pants on over both legs WHILE sitting down or sitting on the edge of the bed. I do that as a habit and I am 30 years younger than him."

AS A RESULT of that conversation, I started doing that but not always consistently. Every time in which I almost stumble, I remember the conversation and sit down to finish getting my pants on.

I am 76 and reasonably healthy, strong and reasonable mental health (I still forget a lot). As a result, there are things I can do - in which many my age cannot do. However, I have known several elderly people in the last 3 - 4 years who were healthy until a tripping or a fall and a major bone breaks. There are many things elderly should avoid if possible, but bone breaking is one accident that turns excellent health into a very weak state, and that eventually leads to an earlier death than otherwise would have happened.

This morning, I was reminded of this when I needed to hurry and get started with slow smoking some meat on the grill. Jumped up, grabbed my pants and almost tripped. Sat down on the edge of the bed and finished.

Common ordinary things with a minor mistake can lead to major health problems and even death.

Comments?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bsshog40

I lately have been sitting down to put my pants on. Then put on shoes, stand up and pull up pants. It may sound a little funny to do but I'm 63 with degenerative bone disease in my knees and shoulders. If I put my pants on standing up, my knees make all kinds of noises. Lol My right knee will sometimes give out on me, so sitting is the new norm for dressing. Lol

Woodchipper

There are things associated with age as losing balance, etc. However, my 69 yo BIL fell while unloading his sister's van for a visit. He stepped off the sidewalk and fell. Sidewalk had low places where the weed trimmer cut the ground down. Long story short: he had a piece of bone sever his spinal cord as surgery discovered. Alternative: respirator and feeding tube for life. He told his wife and doctor: "Just let me die." Got his wish.

derekdd

I'm 61 and was a competitive and active athlete for a long time but feel my body slowing down at an alarming rate.

Just this week, I caught my toe on the lawn mower in the garage and took a hard fall. Banged up my knee and elbow pretty badly. I feel very fortunate I didn't break anything.

I read an article that talked about how many falls send older folks to the ER annually and how man lead to their deaths. It was an alarming number.

jttheclockman

I hear what you are saying and see some of these things in my self as I age. But I seen it in both my Mom and my Dad. It seems what happens is yes the accident started the ball rolling down the hill but it was the visit to the hospital that finished the roll. My Mom broke her hip at 92 and yes her health was declining and mental awareness less and less but I knew as soon as she was taken in an ambulance to hospital that she was not coming home ever again. Man this hurts writing this but the pain I saw and heard with my Mom because of that broken hip was tough to bear. Within the hospital stay I got to witness so many mistakes with attending physicians and nursing staff and if I were not there on some she would have passed sooner. They found many other health problems and they mounted up to add to the broken hip that she just could not survive it and we had to make that awful choice. Went through similar actions with my Dad and to this day my thoughts are always with them and pray to the Lord that he forgives us for what we had to do. He passed at 82 and unfortunately I have inherited a few of his illnesses and they are just now starting to creep into my everyday health objectives. My knees and back are really causing me to become more and more slower and aware of those dreaded falls. What once was simple tasks such as putting pants on is now a concern as well as just about every thing we do. Here is wishing everyone good health for as long as possible and keep checking in with the family here.

monophoto

Great points here.

I will be 78 later this summer and am still in pretty good condition. but I do find myself being a lot more cautious. I never liked ladders, and try to avoid them altogether now. Wife insists that we have to take a nature walk every morning when we are at our time share, so I started using a hiking stick to avoid balancing on one foot when climbing over roots and rocks.

Wife took a fall four years ago and broke her hip. Fortunately, she recovered fully, but she still insists on climbing on chairs to reach upper shelves - I've tried to explain to her that she needs to heed the warning she got, but she won't listen to me.

PenPal

In a few months will be 89 tick all the above,trying to be careful. I use disability scooters plural ,got out of using a trike golf cart anything with three wheels tips over at small uneven surfaces,was dumped twice,could not get up on both occasions two guys assisted me to stand,this allowed my wife to blackmail me into selling our 20 yr old Mercedes ML320,my right knee seized every now and then preventing positive pressure on the brake,she claimed of a lack of brakes on her non driving side.

SteveG

I retired about 3 years ago, right when the Covid craziness started. I didn't realize I was still supposed to put on pants. Guess I'll have to start again. :) - Dave
Hey...you are retired. You do not have to put on pants...Right?? Uh-oh. Maybe I will have to re-think this whole thing.

All kidding aside, falls are BAD! Especially when one is getting up in years. Take time to rethink things, then make wise decisions (and changes) that will help you to enjoy your golden and/or platinum years. You gotta have 'em to enjoy 'em. Thanks Hank.

I'm only 81, retired for last 18 years and on those occasions where I do put on pants, still most of the time do it from a standing position, but I also insure that I'm braced against either the bed, the dresser or the bench at the foot of the bed. I do sometimes sit to pull them on. In and about the house if I'm not going out, I usually only wear lounge pants, much like pajamas... no sense getting dressed sit in my lounge chair.

thewishman

Catching the junction of the pant legs in between my big and next toe almost tumbled me over more than once. Especially dangerous in the dark with more than one dog around my feet.

Lowering my center of gravity when tying my shoes keeps me from tipping over.

monophoto

I retired about 3 years ago, right when the Covid craziness started. I didn't realize I was still supposed to put on pants. Guess I'll have to start again. :) - Dave
Saw this news headline this morning:
ScreenHunter 360.jpg

calabrese55

Aging warnings..... That alarm that goes off in your head and tells you that you don't have enough time and energy left to accomplish all the things you have been dreaming about for all those working years.
calabrese55

sbwertz

If you don't mind, after reading this, list some ordinary things (accidents) that are overlooked that can help healthy aging people to avoid.

I
A few months ago, my husband, who has spinal stenosis and gets around with a walker, bent over to pick something up, lost his balance and fell. He is 6'4" and weighs 230 lbs. I managed to get him over on his hands and knees and was stepping around behind him to grab his belt and help him pull himself up on a step stool, when I caught my toe in his pants cuff and fell, tearing the meniscus in my knee. I have too much arthritis in my knees for them to do surgery to repair the meniscus. Currently they are doing gel injections every six months, which don't really do much to relieve the discomfort, but do keep it from getting worse. A full knee replacement is the only real solution. I just turned 80 and don't want to push my luck with major surgery!

MPVic

I hear what you are saying and see some of these things in my self as I age. But I seen it in both my Mom and my Dad. It seems what happens is yes the accident started the ball rolling down the hill but it was the visit to the hospital that finished the roll. My Mom broke her hip at 92 and yes her health was declining and mental awareness less and less but I knew as soon as she was taken in an ambulance to hospital that she was not coming home ever again. Man this hurts writing this but the pain I saw and heard with my Mom because of that broken hip was tough to bear. Within the hospital stay I got to witness so many mistakes with attending physicians and nursing staff and if I were not there on some she would have passed sooner. They found many other health problems and they mounted up to add to the broken hip that she just could not survive it and we had to make that awful choice. Went through similar actions with my Dad and to this day my thoughts are always with them and pray to the Lord that he forgives us for what we had to do. He passed at 82 and unfortunately I have inherited a few of his illnesses and they are just now starting to creep into my everyday health objectives. My knees and back are really causing me to become more and more slower and aware of those dreaded falls. What once was simple tasks such as putting pants on is now a concern as well as just about every thing we do. Here is wishing everyone good health for as long as possible and keep checking in with the family here.
So sorry John, your pain is evident in what you have shared.

MPVic

I'm 75 & all of these stories really hit home. I used to think I was a wimp for having to sit down to put on pants ...... until I caught my foot on the 2nd leg of my pants. Thank the Lord, I was in our small ensuite bath so the walls saved me. There's a lot of truth in Proverbs 16:18 (The Message) "First pride, then the crash - the bigger the ego, the harder the fall."

MPVic

I was reminded this morning of a health warning I was given about 3 years ago that I so often forget. Rick Terrell posted the following thread. https://www.penturners.org/threads/...ll-be-closed-for-a-while.178052/#post-2189607

While hopeful and prayerfully he fully recovers, "falls" (and specific major broken bones) often results in immediate decline in health and death months later.

PUT YOUR PANTS ON OVER BOTH LEGS WHILE SITTING DOWN:

Three years ago, a farmer friend in his mid 80's passed away. He was an healthy active retired farmer, but helped his two sons on the farm, rode his horse at least weekly and still had an active pilot's license. One day he fell and broke his hip. His health never returned and nearly a year later he passed away. I co-officiated in his funeral.

I have known of several healthy elderly people who died within months to a year after breaking a major bone in their body. My friend said this to me: "I got up in the morning and put my pants on just like I had been doing for 80 years., But, I tripped as I was putting my second leg in. I fell and broke my hip." He died within 8 months of the fall.
One of his sons (who used to be my neighbor) told me, in his presence, "I told dad, he need to learn to put his pants on over both legs WHILE sitting down or sitting on the edge of the bed. I do that as a habit and I am 30 years younger than him."

AS A RESULT of that conversation, I started doing that but not always consistently. Every time in which I almost stumble, I remember the conversation and sit down to finish getting my pants on.

I am 76 and reasonably healthy, strong and reasonable mental health (I still forget a lot). As a result, there are things I can do - in which many my age cannot do. However, I have known several elderly people in the last 3 - 4 years who were healthy until a tripping or a fall and a major bone breaks. There are many things elderly should avoid if possible, but bone breaking is one accident that turns excellent health into a very weak state, and that eventually leads to an earlier death than otherwise would have happened.

This morning, I was reminded of this when I needed to hurry and get started with slow smoking some meat on the grill. Jumped up, grabbed my pants and almost tripped. Sat down on the edge of the bed and finished.

Common ordinary things with a minor mistake can lead to major health problems and even death.

Comments?
Thanks for sharing, Hank. Very timely advice for us all.

monophoto

Some time ago, I flagged a YouTube video presentation that Richard Raffan gave to some clubs in the Northwestern US, and finally got around to watching it this afternoon. Most of the presentation is a slide show overview of his career in turning, but toward the end he went 'live' for a Q & A session. Prominently displayed behind him in his office is a shopping bag that says

"80 is an age - not a sell-by date'

While I agree that as we get older, we need to be aware of our limitations (which will naturally increase), and take reasonable precautions to avoid injuries that might be harder to recover from due to age, but as Richard's bag suggests, getting older doesn't mean we have to stop enjoying life.

If you haven't watched that video, its well a couple of hours of time -

randyrls

I have a contrary view; Last Saturday I helped at our church spread mulch. Ran a wheelbarrow all around the church. It WAS a tylenol night. 75 years young. Also Help around the sanctuary and get up on ladders to replace light bulbs in the 28' ceiling

Last edited:

leehljp

Member Liaison
I have a contrary view; Last Saturday I helped at our church spread mulch. Ran a wheelbarrow all around the church. It WAS a tylenol night. 75 years young. Also Help around the sanctuary and get up on ladders to replace light bulbs in the 28' ceiling
I have been helping the building of a rural church that has the money for material only. All volunteer labor by code abiding contractors, - and me. I did stay off the roof, but in the last month I installed donated ceramic tile that no one else knew how to install. I borrowed a tile saw, got on my knees and put down 300 sq feet plus grout. Different ones handed me the tiles as needed, but no one else "knew" what to do. I didn't either but I learned. First time for ceramic tile for me and I don't think I will do it again. That hurts the knees even with a good set of knee pads.

I can handle things where balance is not a problem, but for balance things, including putting on pants while standing, these become dangerous in old age. I know I can still do balance things, but it only takes once to shorten one's life expectancy considerably - that is what I have learned from observation of friends around me, plus the number of times I have stumbled or gotten a toe caught while trying to get the pants on while standing. As to replacing lights in high ceilings, even with the right tools and lifts, I will leave that to those with excellent balance.

That said, in the church we have been building, there is a retired pastor that is 85 and stronger than me. He doesn't do balance things, but he does out do me in the physical lifting and moving objects, as long as he can keep his feet on the ground or floor!

Randy, you are the type that wear me out. 😁I hate for people to out-do me, and I keep pushing myself to keep up. I know I cannot keep up with the younger guys, but those my age, and that retired pastor mentioned above - I just have to stop trying to keep up. Your type wears me out! 😁 Slow down a bit and quit making me feel bad for not keeping up! :D . . . Seriously though, don't let aging keep you from enjoying life and work! Go for it!

Last edited:

Sataro

Great information here. Read this post a couple of days ago. I'm 65 & still get around albeit slowly. Both knees are arthritic & bone on bone. Doctor told me last week that they both needed replacement but that was a choice I would have to make.

Back to this morning, I was taking a shower before heading to work. One minute soaping down, the next thing I know I'm laying on my back in the shower. Luckily no injuries. I guess the moral of the story is we have to be extra careful in all aspects of our life. We never know when that freak accident will happen…

sbwertz

I've been having periods of bad balance. Not every day, but some days I wake up and need three tacks to get to the bathroom. The other day I dropped something in the hall and bent over to pick it up and just kept going. Flat on my face on the carpet! Didn't hurt myself, but made me a lot more careful. It's not vertigo...no dizziness at all. Up just isn't very UP! sometimes I feel like I am tilted, when I'm not.

Woodchipper

Sataro, you might see what caused the blackout in the shower. Not good. Or quit taking showers.🦨
I also need knee replacement but the doctor said it was my call.

Mike

I am 71 years old and have not taken a fall yet, but have had a few close calls. I sit down most of the time to put on pants, shoes and socks. My knees were both bone on bone, one for over 10 years. I kept putting it off and finally the pain got so bad, I had both knees replaced at the same time. That was 2014. One of the best decisions of my life. I was back at work in 6 weeks. My wife also had both of hers replaced at the same time after several years of pain and she is one of those people that never goes to the doctor unless dying. She was using crutches to get around and now is back to gardening and doing the things she enjoys. My great grandmother, who lived at home to 107 years old, passed in 3 months after breaking a hip.

Mike

Top Bottom