Aero kit Drill Bit Options

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PSNCO

I'm having a heck of a time trying to find a 23/64th drill bit locally for the Aero pen kit. I can't seem to find the bit with some of the usual venders I order from. What would be the best bit to use of what I have on hand?

The 23/64th bit = .3594 I have the following bits available:

9mm= .3543
'U'= .3680
3/8th= .3750

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

carlmorrell

A few weeks ago, I picked up a LED flashlight kit, then realized it needed a 33/64 drill bit. I have a 2 drill indexes, and a whole bunch of other drill bits. But did I have 33/64 or something even close? no. :frown: In fact, who would have a 33/64?

So I used a 1/2 inch. Then reamed it forever.. It came out fine.

So if it was me, I would used the 9mm. Sand the tubes and ream til it hurts, er ... fits:biggrin: You might be surprised you don't need to ream much if at all.

Rodnall

I just measured one of my aero tubes, it was .348, so the 9mm would probably work better. I have found that some kits recommend a drill bit that is too big sometimes. I always measure my tubes and choose an appropriate bit, instead of going by the instructions after having a couple of tubes super loose in the blanks

Dan Masshardt

I was in a similar situation with the aero before. There wasn't another bit
Close enough for me. I actually found one on the clearance table at woodcraft. Lucky.

Charlie_W

I just measured one of my aero tubes, it was .348, so the 9mm would probably work better. I have found that some kits recommend a drill bit that is too big sometimes. I always measure my tubes and choose an appropriate bit, instead of going by the instructions after having a couple of tubes super loose in the blanks

I usually try to find a bit which is 10 thousanths larger than the tube to allow for glue/paint.

Tom T

Most fastener stores should have one. They will have different grades. Buy the good one.
When I use certain bits they burn up way easy. I have some colt bits that have been great. Have never burnt one. Have welded a few to acrylic. But they take a licking and keep working great.

fernhills

Harbor Freight, 29 piece up to 1/2", all that you will need unless you go to very large full size rollerballs or fountain pens over 1/2". That will give you a good base, then order when you buy a kit for something special or the kit is calling for mm. I think you can buy the box for 13.49. For a little more you can get both MM & Fractions. Then just replace as you wear them out. Also pick up a punch set for 9.99,, invaluable. Carl

Top Bottom