Advice on pen photos

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bigcountry7

I think I need to raise my pens higher off the surface. I also think I need a simpler background.

I had hoped the tray would be enough, but I don't think it is. Any thoughts?

Also on the composition, is there close up crop better, or should I leave a square aspect ratio?

Attachments

• IMG_9678.jpg
    IMG_9678.jpg
    213.2 KB · Views: 125
  • 20230105_225239.jpg
    20230105_225239.jpg
    171.5 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_9667.jpg
    IMG_9667.jpg
    244.7 KB · Views: 136

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
I would crop the first one to eliminate the distracting elements around the surface the pen is lying on. Perhaps leave a little more of the surface showing than in the second photo.

There are several excellent tutorials on pen photography in the IAP library.

Last edited:

MDVolle

Raising the pen off the surface can help but so can selecting a surface that either compliments the pen or disappears - a common technique for shooting small pieces with a colored and floating background involves painting the back side of a piece of glass with black paint - which does not limit you to a black background - its part of the technique - the object is then placed on the glass (painted side down) and the reflection off of the glass - behind the pen and glass - is lit with a color, black or even an image - this shows up in the camera as if the pen is floating on the reflected color - it takes a little playing with it to understand completely but once you have done it once, its really easy to set up and repeat -

Having a large enough surface so that the entire background is one material or having a distinct "horizon" at the edge of the flat surface can both clean up the image - many products are shot on a "sweep" - be it paper, cloth or other materials that can be curved - the front portion is flat for the product but the surface curves up to a vertical in a gentle curve that makes the foreground and background the same continuous surface but much more uniformly lit than shooting on the front edge of a large flat surface - also enables a lower angle shot without "running out of background" -

Also loved your Exacto "rehandle"

Black Glass - blue reflection

Porsche on blue.jpg

Cedar "Fish grilling" plank as background
TWSBI 2.jpg

Top Bottom