Advice on first fountain pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Richard92

I have just purchased my first fountain pen kit .This is a lower level priced kit by Taylorsmirfield in the UK called a TM Omega. Not a difficult build by any means with this kit.
For the blanks I have some really highly figured HOLYLAND OLIVE WOOD 2 ½" X ¾" X ¾" pieces just arrived.
There is no particular purchaser at the moment, but a lady who as purchased from me before is looking for a fountain pen.
Do I go with just 2 pieces of the olive wood in a nice shape and finish or go for some form of design in the wood not distracting from the figured wood.
Any input on this will be appreciated.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

It would actually be better, IMHO, to use a longer blank and get both barrels out of the same blank.

In that way, you can match the grains across the center band ... that often has an appeal.

I am not sure what you mean by "go for some form of design in the wood not distracting from the figured wood".

Sometimes the details of the kit hardware will affect how you choose the blanks and turn them.
I am not familiar with the TM Omega. . Do you know if it is similar to the Virage ? . I seem to think it is; maybe even the same.

Last edited:

Mr Vic

The components look the same as the Virage. As a fountain pen user I would say keep it simple. The body has a taper from the nib end down to a smaller tail. A very slight curve would work but very, very slight. I suggest the cap be either straight or again an almost imperceptible curve. Look at the examples on the website.
I concur with Mal on using one blank for the pen and aligning the grain. You do that by assembling the body and then screw on the center band assembly. The slip on the cap blank to get aligned. Don't let center band move. When happy with alignment, press on firmly but hand, unscrew the center band w/cap section and finishing pressing together.

Richard92

Thanks to you all for your informative input. Unfortunately as I bought these as 2 1/2" blanks I must go with the fact that there will be no grain match. These are the blanks I have to choose from.
20200716_093337.jpg

Thanks again for your input, I will show the pen when finished.

Woodfreak

I have just purchased my first fountain pen kit .This is a lower level priced kit by Taylorsmirfield in the UK called a TM Omega. Not a difficult build by any means with this kit.
For the blanks I have some really highly figured HOLYLAND OLIVE WOOD 2 ½" X ¾" X ¾" pieces just arrived.
There is no particular purchaser at the moment, but a lady who as purchased from me before is looking for a fountain pen.
Do I go with just 2 pieces of the olive wood in a nice shape and finish or go for some form of design in the wood not distracting from the figured wood.
Any input on this will be appreciated.
Hi. I am in the UK. Have used Taylors Mirfield extensively. Their kits are really well made. I have sold dozens of the Omega in Rollerball and Fountain pen. I would keep it simple and make the whole pen in olive wood. Olive is probably my favorite wood. You can get some beautiful markings and grain effects, also it smells divine whilst turning it.

Richard92

Well this is what ended up doing. No extras just 2 blanks turned to the fittings. I didn't use the TM Omega kit as a friend came round gave me 3 25 mm sq Black Ebony blanks from his father and a fountain pen kit complete about 20 years or over old. I have no idea what the kit is apart from the instructions and the packet it was in shown below.The ink cartridge had all gone hard luckily the same size can still be bought.
Anyway turned out quite pleasing for my first one. I just love the olive wood gotta be my favourite I think

Attachments

• 20200718_153659.jpg
    20200718_153659.jpg
    232.5 KB · Views: 138
  • 20200718_153241.jpg
    20200718_153241.jpg
    226.6 KB · Views: 135
  • 20200719_095100-1.jpg
    20200719_095100-1.jpg
    414 KB · Views: 114
  • 20200719_095123.jpg
    20200719_095123.jpg
    258.6 KB · Views: 111

Richard92

Very nice. I too love olive wood. The kit looks like a so-called "Flat Top American".

Yeah think you could be right the clip is not the one for the pen. Had to use a spare from another kit due to an error on my part.
Thanks

Top Bottom