Advice needed

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenB259

Splurged on Black Friday at my local wood store on this piece of black gaboon ebony. I've had my eye on it awhile and they had 20 percent off sales today. The advice I need is this, I have never bought a piece of wood that is entirely encased in wax, as this one is. Do I need to try and remove the wax before using, or leave as much if it on there until I use it. This wood will be used very very sparingly. When I do take the wax off, how do I do that?
IMG_1365.JPG
IMG_1366.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

What you have is turning stock. They apply the wax for one of two reasons. One being the wood is wet and they do not want it to crack and split as it dries too fast. Two is it is dry already and they do not want it to pick up moisture wherever it is stored or shipped thus again causing the wood to crack and split. That and any other wood that is waxed like that is wood that has a tendency to crack and split easily. Remember the ends are the most critical area where cracks and checks occur the easiest. So when you expose those ends that is when things can go happen.

You are best to test wood with a moisture meter to know for sure. To remove bulk of wax a scraper works well. Sandpaper will only gum up so skip that. MS or acetone can take it off. I found just milling the piece to what I need works for me. So it gets turned off or cut off. Now when you expose the wood to the elements it is best to keep in a warm dry area. Not much more I can tell you. I never had gabon ebony crack on me after cut from that state.

Last edited:

monophoto

Agree with John - if you are going to use it sparingly, I suggest not attempting to remove the wax. Just cut off what you need for a project, and then mount it and turn it. You are going to be turning away the surface, and having a little wax in the pile of shavings under the lathe won't cause any harm.

KenB259

Thanks guys. I'll probably cut a 6 inch chunk off one end and then cut that piece as needed for accent pieces etc. My shop is in the basement , climate controlled all the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

TonyL

What you have is turning stock. They apply the wax for one of two reasons. One being the wood is wet and they do not want it to crack and split as it dries too fast. Two is it is dry already and they do not want it to pick up moisture wherever it is stored or shipped thus again causing the wood to crack and split. That and any other wood that is waxed like that is wood that has a tendency to crack and split easily. Remember the ends are the most critical area where cracks and checks occur the easiest. So when you expose those ends that is when things can go happen.

You are best to test wood with a moisture meter to know for sure. To remove bulk of wax a scraper works well. Sandpaper will only gum up so skip that. MS or acetone can take it off. I found just milling the piece to what I need works for me. So it gets turned off or cut off. Now when you expose the wood to the elements it is best to keep in a warm dry area. Not much more I can tell you. I never had gabon ebony crack on me after cut from that state.
good information. Never knew this. Thank you.

jttheclockman

good information. Never knew this. Thank you.
Tony you have to remember most woods that are waxed are exotic woods that come from rain forests or other wet locations. If you see domestic woods sealed with anchorseal or other paints are woods that were freshly cut and they will be wet and need to dry slowly or they will check up greatly. Boards are controlled when cut. I have exotic boards that are 8 feet long by 12" wide that are completely covered in wax.

Top Bottom