Advice needed on initials on pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Alan Morrison

I have been asked to make two pens for gifts with the folks initials on them. This is something that I have not done before; I have no access to lasers so I thought maybe Dremel out and fill with metal dust and CA, or pyrography.
I need your advice on technique and how to achieve a professional looking finish.
Many thanks
Alan

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

1080Wayne

The professional looking finish is probably easier to achieve than a professional looking engraving with a Dremel unless you use one a lot . I would do a fair bit of practicing on other pieces of the same material and diameter . Not so easy to do if you are using a special blank of some kind . The engraving can be infilled with just about anything to give you the wanted colour contrast . A CA finish is a good final step . Someone might be able to offer better advice if you provide a few more details as to the material and the pen style .

Alan Morrison

Someone might be able to offer better advice if you provide a few more details as to the material and the pen style

The ladies pen will be a Streamline and her husband's pen a Leveche rollerball from Beaufort pen kits.
Pens will be made from Brazilian mahogany or oak, not been decided on yet.

sbwertz

I did water slide decals before I got the laser. Takes a lot of coats of finish to completely cover the edges. Stamps might work. You can get alphabet stamps that you hit with a hammer to emboss the letters into wood. Then you can fill them with whatever color you want. I have good luck with Sharpies in gold, silver and bronze to match the kit. Make sure you have a good hard finish on the pen then use the sharpie to fill in the letters. Wipe the excess off with a cloth.

magpens

There used to be metal initials commercially available that you could mount in pairs as an end cap on a Jr. Gent size pen. Sorry, can't remember further details but maybe someone else's memory will help out in due course.

MDEdwards

I use a local trophy shop to laser engrave all the time. Currently my project is a laser cut nursing symbol blank in pink maple with the name of the retiring nurse's name engraved on it. Not my much of my skill involved, but its all about the recipient, after all. The cost is small and it takes a couple of days. I have taken them computer files of yacht club, and college logos, with excellent results.

Woodchipper

I use a local trophy shop to laser engrave all the time. Currently my project is a laser cut nursing symbol blank in pink maple with the name of the retiring nurse's name engraved on it. Not my much of my skill involved, but its all about the recipient, after all. The cost is small and it takes a couple of days. I have taken them computer files of yacht club, and college logos, with excellent results.
What about copyrights or registered logos? Curious.

Top Bottom