Advice for Bullpen Bench

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Doublemeat

I picked up a piece of the bullpen bench from the 2017 World Series at Minute Maid Park today. I'm looking for any advice on what to next to create some pen blanks out of it. I would guess that it is pine but that's only from my coaches telling me to, "Grab some pine, kid."

66A13031-11B0-4608-9816-4987BD5EA1CC.jpeg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Doublemeat

Even though I'm not a fan of gimmicky pens, it seems the baseball themed kit would be appropriate.
I'm in the same boat with you about the gimmicky pens. I should have been a bit clearer in my post too. Do I need to do anything special to the wood before turning it?

Sly Dog

If it's pine it could be soft and benefit from some thin CA as you turn.

I have dyed some plain wood blanks before to "spruce" them up. 😜 Maybe Astro colors? I like to put some burn lines in, too, which can contain the dye from running....understandable if you didn't want to do that to a blank with baseball history attached to it.

I've made a couple of the Baseball kits sold by PSI and don't really like the platings or feel of the pen. I preferred a slim pen with a simple baseball bat clip I got from Beartooth Woods or Exotic Blanks (can't recall which, at the moment).

Not a great pic, but I'll attach a maple pen I burned lines into, dyed blue and orange segments in (for a Broncos fan) and filled in the burn lines with copper dyed epoxy before the final turn. Gives you an idea of what I meant above. Good luck!

33B2CAA5-BEA9-46D2-A6C5-45577597E6F7.jpeg

Top Bottom