Advantage?????

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mwenman

In some ways it seems strange that they would vote against him especially when you watch either summer or winter games, there is always a story or more where athletes have overcome adversity, severe personal injuries, etc just to get where they are today and make it to the olympics. Does this make too good of a story??

I hope that he does win his appeals and no doubt there there will be discrimination law suits all over the place if not already.

leehljp

Member Liaison
In my opinion, he is in a no-win situation. Even with today's computerized technology, there is no way to have a pure level playing field. What I don't think some people may realize is that the technology he is using - has been experimented with considerably. While side mobility is limited, straight running speed can be increased by a considerable amount. Now, at what point is the actual running on a truly matched level? One tweak on the computer and the same guy can up his speed by 1 MPH. Two tweaks and 2 mph. Then were do you stop?

This guy's prosthesis has been adjusted to give him normal olympic perameter speeds, with his body work out. The problem is where do you stop tweaking the prosthesis in relation to the person's ability.

It is not fair to him, but it is not fair to others either who can not have their own muscles tweaked. Would it be OK to have springs in their shoes? A no win situation.

Rifleman1776

As sad as the situation is, the ruling is appropriate. We are looking for the best athletes who compete without mechanical assistance. To allow him would open the door to all kinds of controversy. I was in a situation once with a shooting sport. A handicapped individual needed a brace to hold his rifle for bench-rest shooting, it was the only way he could shoot. However, his mechanical support gave him a huge advantage over the other competitors. He was ruled ineligible. The next year a category for disabled individuals was created and he was able to compete. I believe the day is not far off when power assisted knees could be surgically implanted to make a runner much faster than a 'normal' person.

Top Bottom