Adding Clips to Teacher's Pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rjwolfe3

So I made two teacher's pens for a Cpt. where I work. He wanted the red and black ink. The only problem is that he wanted clips added to the pen. Me, not thinking, said no problem.:rolleyes: Well then I put the kits together and the clips are extremely loose. Every time you take the pen out of your pocket the thing falls apart.:eek: So I figured I would glue the clip to the centerband and the stationary part of the pen. But the CA glue won't hold and the clip keeps falling apart.:mad: Does anyone have any ideas of how to add a clip so that it looks halfway decent?:confused:
TIA

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rjwolfe3

No ideas yet? What if I use 5min epoxy instead of CA? I am basically trying to permanently attach the clip between the centerband and the fixed part of the pen.

mrcook4570

Here's one solution. Make it similar to a Namiki Vanishing Point. Before pressing the conical end (nib, for lack of a better term) into place, slide it through the clip ring and then press into place.

rjwolfe3

Lol, I had to google that Stan and that's an awesome idea. But I think I screwed up in that I made that section between the nib and the main body too big. (Sometimes customers drive me nuts, lol.)

PTJeff

I don't know if this is halfway decent but consider this: they are the ones that attach to a #2 pencil, ie clip on

Attachments

• fault-chrome_small.gif
    fault-chrome_small.gif
    3 KB · Views: 310

rjwolfe3

Stan,
I am going to show him this "Namiki Vanishing Point" and see if he agrees. The problem is that the pen is all ready turned and assembled. It was after I delivered them the first time that he asked for clips.
Jeff,
I like your idea as well but I wonder if they make them in gold.

Thanks for your ideas guys.

rherrell

How about soldering the clip to the CB. I seem to recall that the Teachers Pen is just a slimline so it should work. Off the top of my head I would probably cut the clip ring in half, remove the plating from the top of the CB and the clip ring, hold it together with an alligator clip and solder. Might work?

Randy_

Gold solders very well so there would be no need to remove the plating; but much if not all of the PSI gold is epoxy coated and that could interfere with the process.

Gold colored solder is available from jewelry supply places. Don't recall if it has the same low temp as "normal" solder or not. That could also be a problem.

P.S. I didn't even know the teachers pen had a clip. I've got a couple of kits out in the shop somewhere that I bought from PSI a long time ago; but never got around to making them up.

sbell111

There have been a few times when we have agreed to try something for a customer, but have not been able to make what the customer desired. We have come to terms with the fact that sometimes you just have to be willing to tell them that you were not able to give them what they desired. Sometimes, they have modified their desires and still made the purchase. Othertimes, they haven't.

Mr Vic

Rob, Take a look at this link http://www.atomicmall.com/view.php?id=40968 . The original doubleender pencil. Used to use one when I crewed Hueys A couple years back.....We had black lead fro writting and the red end was for status pencils....No need for an eraser as we weere not allowed to erase...had to make an entry that the above was in error and corrected below.....Learned to think twice - write once

Vic

rjwolfe3

Yeppers but it the clip was just stuck between the centerband and the upper barrel. The pen came apart every time he pulled it out of his pocket and the clip was very loose. But changing to the nib made it solid and the customer seems happy.

Top Bottom