Adding a clip + finial

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Hippie3180

So, I made my first finial and it's on so well that I can't get it off without probably pliers/surgery. I intended to add a clip, but the finial is on so well I don't want to battle it to get it off. This was merely a practice piece anyway.

I'm guessing I was supposed to make the groove for my clip first before turning and maybe my finial would be more likely to come loose. What did I do wrong?

Attachments

• IMG_3179.jpeg
    IMG_3179.jpeg
    535.5 KB · Views: 81
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jalbert

Sounds like you tightened it too much. Having the clip in place before you screw the finial on isn't going to affect how tight the finial is. Just use less force next time.

Hippie3180

Oliver X

I occasionally use a collet chuck to grab parts to unscrew them if they're smooth and I don't want to tear them up. It usually works. Sometimes I'll use my lathe chuck. That usually doesn't work as well as far as not tearing things up.

One thing that can make threads stick even when they're not really overtightened is if the threads aren't complete or properly relieved. Assuming the finial has a post and that post is threaded, if it's not threaded to the shoulder or relieved or the cap isn't counterbored, you'll have a portion of the threaded interface where there is interference and it can wedge itself pretty tightly without too much effort.

Top Bottom