Added some new photos

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Old Griz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Tom
Just took a stroll through your pictures. it makes it easy withthe way the photos are set up now. I don't miss vary many new ones. they look great and the way you did the pics was great with the discriptions right there with them. Keep Em Spinnin.

I get most of my kits from either Marc at www.woodhelp.com and Ryan at www.woodturningz.com... I get great service from them and great prices... I will not buy the basic gold but always get the prices for the TN gold finish.. I don't want a customer coming back later complaining about the gold coming off.. even after they kept the pen in their jeans for 6 months..

That's some nice ebony there Tom. I like the slight bit of brown it in...keeps it from looking like plastic and more like real wood. Nice job on the turning and no centerband!

I like the lack of a centerband. Do you use anything for a friction point on the bandless pens? I would be concerned that the wear of wood on wood. I know it could burnish them nicely, but there also could be a cracking problem. Hmmmm...

So far have not had a problem with cracking or wear on the bandless pens.. I start with a slimline bushing on both ends and a Euro or similar size center bushing in the middle... when I get close to the size of the center bushing, I remove it and turn the blanks together so that I get a nice close fit and smooth taper. After final sanding, I put a slimline bushing back in the center and do a CA finish. I tried it once without the bushing and had a hell of a time separating the blanks after the finish.. DUH!!!!!

Sweet looking pen, Tom, and I'm a little jealous. The best deal I can find for Ebony is $35 a pound.[B)] I also like the bandless look as well.

Lee Biggers
The ever curious pen turner [:)]

Lee,

do you have a Paxtons Lumber yard in your area? If not go to www.paxtonwood.com . They just closed a store in New Oleans a few months back and the Paxton store here received some Nigerian ebony and it was priced reasonably low. I picked up a couple of pieces (2)- 6x18x1 for less than 40 dollars and pick up 2 turning blanks 2 1/12 x 2 1/2 x 18 for 35 dollars. The guys at Paxton said they shipped out the ebony to all thier stores.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom