Acrylic pens / Headlight lens...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Warren White

I know this isn't pen turning, but have any of you had success in taking your acrylic pen polishing skills and applied them to foggy headlight lenses? If so, what grit do you start at and finish at; what do you use to add moisture to the task; what do you put on when you are finished? Other tricks that work? What don't you recommend?

I know it is kind of hard to mount the headlight lens (or the car) on the lathe, so I guess polishing with micro mesh is the most lengthy part of the process.

Sorry this isn't pen turning but perhaps the process is similar enough to let this by on this forum.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

studioseven

Last summer I tried cleaning my headlights on two different cars. It didn't turn out as easy as any of the you-tube videos I watched. I think my lights were just too far gone. I had purchased a number of kits for the job. I ended up buying some 80 grit to start with and worked my way to 600 grit. All done on a sander attached to a cordless drill. It did show some improvement but nowhere near new car condition.

Seven

carlmorrell

I used to put a lot of labor into cleaning my lenses, even clear coated then. THEN. I found a very quick and effective procedure. It literally takes only a few seconds. Protect the paint (tape). Then put a liberal amount of acetone on a rag. ONE smooth swipe. Do not work it or fool around. You might be surprised at the results.

mick

I used my old micro mesh pads. Started with somewhere around the middle grits.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

bsshog40

I've used a couple different kits also. They just seem to shine up all the scratches and oxidation thats on them. Lol

wouldentu2?

I use the 3M kit just for that with my drill. It only lasts a 6 months or so and then it needs to be redone because the coating they originally put on it wears off. But it does make a difference. You could use Micro Mesh but it is alot of rubbing.

Top Bottom