Acrylic blank makers

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

keepanionme14

I'm looking for a specific blank. My sister has graduated from Virginia Tech. I think a good gift would be a nice pen made with the school's colors of Chicago maroon and burnt orange. Does anyone know where to get one or have one made for me?

Thanks in advance.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Cwalker935

I am a Hokie and have used solid color blanks from PSI to make segmented pens with Va Tech colors. I also plan to make a gatsby blank by casting around a Hokie image. What pen kit do you plan to use?
I would be interested in any better ideas.

keepanionme14

I am a Hokie and have used solid color blanks from PSI to make segmented pens with Va Tech colors. I also plan to make a gatsby blank by casting around a Hokie image. What pen kit do you plan to use?
I would be interested in any better ideas.

I was thinking either a trimline or the graduate. She doesn't have small hands, but they aren't the biggest either. Those seem to be about the right size.

I have zero experience in segmenting. I've been turning for maybe 1-2 months now. It's something that'll be in my future attempts though.

Cwalker935

I plan on casting the attached image on a Gatsby or an executive tube in clear polyester resin. PSI sells those kits. They are single tube kits. If you are interested in either of those options, I could do an extra one for you.

image.jpg

t001xa22

For what it is worth, after making over 600 pens, I would recommend the Post Graduate vs the Graduate, only because the Post model uses the Parker refill instead of the Cross type in the Graduate. The overall size of the pen is a bit larger, and to me, has a little nicer appearance, even though it was modeled after the Graduate in the beginning. As to the blanks, if you are wanting to use solid colors, Woodturningz sells PSI units in Inlace Acrylester, and I have used them for several years without a hitch. If you want to use a more swirled, pearlescent type of color blank, there are many good vendors out there; I find a larger variety through Exotic Blanks. These comments are purely my opinion, and I hope it helps.

mjmeldrum

I know this post is from 6 years ago, but just hear me out please. Zac Higgins, who many of you may have seen on his You Tube channel, makes custom colored blanks. I contacted him about a year ago and he said he had actually made some Hokies blanks before that even. I think the blanks were around $10 apiece but I might be a bit off or the price may be different now. Anyway, he's a resource you can contact via his website at: https://nvwoodwerks.com.

Top Bottom