Acetic Cure Silicone???

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Padre

I want to try to make Ron's round molds, so I went to my local Home Depot and read the labels on the silicone. How the heck to you find acetic cure silicone??? I bought 3 tubes of GE Silicon II, because none of the labels say acetic cure, and this one is 100% silicone, but googled it and it doesn't look like it's acetic cure?

Help???

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KDM

I'm pretty sure if it says it's silicone then you're fine. It may say something like "Caution, releases Acetic Acid." You might not expect teh exact text "Acetic Cure." The one I used is just advertised as "bath sealant."

Texatdurango

I want to try to make Ron's round molds, so I went to my local Home Depot and read the labels on the silicone. How the heck to you find acetic cure silicone??? I bought 3 tubes of GE Silicon II, because none of the labels say acetic cure, and this one is 100% silicone, but googled it and it doesn't look like it's acetic cure?

Help???

Early last year Serge "Darley" did a tutorial and mentioned using "acetic acid cure" silicone. Since then there have been spin offs and variations of his mold making tutorial mentioning the same thing but don't worry, using a silicone such as GE silicone II or any other 100% silicone will result in some fine molds. I made several molds using GE silicone II and they all turned out and work great.

When you smell the strong vinegar smell, you know you have the right stuff! :)

jtdesigns

I gotta say after reading RAdams tut on silicone mold making I was satisfied with the results. I then tried some Smooth On OOMo (sp?) 30. Wow, great product, easy to use and professional looking molds. I made some corian forms for blanks and paperweight molds. I will continue to use silicone to for single use/prototype purposes but this smooth on stuff is my choice for long lasting molds. Btw, thanks RAdams......great tutorial.

Jeff

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
I've got the MoldMax 40, but it's a bit too thick for the ResinSavers.
(except for Gents) It has a hard time flowing into the openings. But I
use the 30 all the time. The only thing I don't like about the MoldMax is
the cleanup.. unless you use the FastCat and then the waste just peels
off in one piece. (I hate to use a new bowl every time I mix)

Top Bottom